3.0l Merc, Alpha One drive, Engine revs back and forth on its own?

Pescado48

Cadet
Hello All,

My boat has been running good for the last couple of weeks, however last time on the water i noticed when going to high speeds the motor revs back and forth on its own. Unfortunately the tach on my boat is not working right now so i dont know the rpm values. Also the engine is not turning off completely (dieseling) never did this before, Any thoughts ? Thx.

alorio1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 3.0l Merc, Alpha One drive, Engine revs back and forth on its own?

If nothing is moving mechanicly with carb linkag, your fuel filters are clogged. There is one on the carb inlet(brass) and usually one before the fuel enters into the fuel pump and the fuel pump itself probably has one also.

Pescado48

Cadet

Can engine alignment have anything to do with this? i ran the boat on my drive way, at higher rpm's sounded noisy!

Bondo

Staff member

Can engine alignment have anything to do with this? i ran the boat on my drive way, at higher rpm's sounded noisy!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Alignment should be Checked, but no, it wouldn't cause yer issue,...

Check the distributor shaft for Play,...

alorio1

Seaman Apprentice

You can't run engine with outdrive in the up position or trailer position, even in neautral. If you have noise with outdrive close to normal trim position you may have other problems. Your gimbal brg may need to be greased, have you greased your gimbal brg lately? I found the gimbal brg takes grease well with the outdrive lowered and engine running and of course muffs and water on. It does not have to be in forward or reverse while greasing.......

alorio1

Seaman Apprentice

Mine will diesel also if I use 87 Oct. I have to run the high Octane fuel in my 3.0 GM engine.
Hello All,

My boat has been running good for the last couple of weeks, however last time on the water i noticed when going to high speeds the motor revs back and forth on its own. Unfortunately the tach on my boat is not working right now so i dont know the rpm values. Also the engine is not turning off completely (dieseling) never did this before, Any thoughts ? Thx.

Pescado48

Cadet

Thanks guy's good info.