Trailer weight - Performance Trailer

edoubleu

Cadet
I'm trying to register my trailer and need a trailer weight. I do not have the previous reg as reference either. It's a 1995 Performance Trailer that I believe was sold with the Sundance 144 boat (that's on the trailer) as a package. The trailer measures 15' long. I've tried searching the internet and came up with nothing as of yet. There is no trailer model name/number either. I know Performance Trailer is out of business, so I was hoping someone would have this info. or know where I might find it.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

captain_ron

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer weight - Performace Trailer

Always could take it to a scale at like a rock quarry or something and weight it ...of course if you can't find numbers your gonna have a hard time registering it anyway.

edoubleu

Cadet

It's been registered in CT in the past and VIN is still valid. Same state I want to register again.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer weight - Performance Trailer

You just need to tell them a weight for the trailer to get it registered?? Just say it weighs 600 pounds. You would be close. Not sure you need to be exact for this.

oldjeep

Admiral

You just need to tell them a weight for the trailer to get it registered?? Just say it weighs 600 pounds. You would be close. Not sure you need to be exact for this.

You register trailers by loaded capacity. 600lbs wouldn't be a very bright idea ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You register trailers by loaded capacity. 600lbs wouldn't be a very bright idea ;)
Not sure why it matters other than some states may charge more registration for a greater capacity. If that was the case, less is better!

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander

This will vary state to state.In Pa you don't pay any more or any less for a triple compared to a single axle.

Nothing about GVW determing cost of registration

Connecticut
Used manufactured trailer:

To register a used manufactured trailer you will need the following:

Bill of Sale (form H-31) or dealer invoice identifying the trailer – must include the buyer and seller information, purchase price, year, make, body style, and *VIN of trailer.
If previously registered in Connecticut and the GVWR is 3,000lbs or less proof of CT registration is required. If the trailer was previously registered out-of-state a VIN verification will be required.
Title properly assigned if GVWR is over 3,000 lbs. and 1981 or newer.
Completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H-13). Download the form, fill out online, and print to bring with you.
Identification will be required to register a trailer.
If the trailer was previously registered out-of-state, a VIN verification is required.

*If the trailer does not have a VIN or if the VIN is missing, an inspection will be required, no fee, and a VIN will be assigned. Please see Reassignment of Missing Trailer VIN and Assignment of VIN for Trailers for more information. There is a $50 fee for the new VIN if the trailers GVWR is over 3,000 lbs.

Registration fee - $19 to $22.50 (depending on month registered).
Title fee - $25 and $10 for each lien-holder listed. (if the GVWR is over 3,000 lbs. and 1981 or newer).
Safety plate fee - $5.
Sales tax will be 6.35 percent for vehicles purchased at $50,000 or less. In addition, the sales tax will be 7 percent for vehicles over $50,000. Credit will be given if tax was paid to a Connecticut licensed dealer and and the appropriate area is completed on the application for registration (form H-13).
Administrative fee - $10, if the vehicle was previously registered out of state or if the vehicle requires a DMV inspection.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

Not sure why it matters other than some states may charge more registration for a greater capacity. If that was the case, less is better!

Point being that registering a trailer for a 15ft boat at 600lbs (assuming that was even a valid weight class) is going to result in a ticket.

Here in MN GW of trailer determines the weight class sticker you get and the registration that you pay.
And if you get pulled over and weighed above the weight of your plates - not good

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/TaxManual.pdf

Scroll down to the commercial and recreational trailer sections

Last edited:

Brad_Ct

Seaman Apprentice

It sounds like we have similar trailers. I used 280# for the light weight and 1500# for the gross weight.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One of the few times CA is cheaper than other states! $20 for 2 years no matter what your trailer weighs.

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should be able to bring the empty trailer to any DMV inspection station and ask to have it weighed. Then you have the printout from the actual enforcement guys.

I've used the scales at highway checkpoints since they're usually left turned on, even if nobody's there. Also most dumps have scales.

Brad_Ct

Seaman Apprentice

Connecticut DMVs do not have weigh scales.