Removable Deck Suggestions

Porshaah

Cadet
Hi All

I assume the integration of the deck/keel/hull is integral to the strength of hull itself due to the profile created by these parts, being a sideways closed "H" or "I" beam profile (i.e commonly used to strengthen structures), so I'm a bit reluctant to modify this section of the boat without getting some opinions.
I?d like to access the space under the deck periodically and I was wondering if there's a tried and true method to secure the deck to the sides of the hull other than the current, slightly permanent fiberglass tabbed in method? Possibly utilizing a combination of screws / fiber glassed in screw wood strip or fiberglass embedded T-nuts and tongue and groove system? The boat is a Glastron CV16 and the 30? wide deck is tabbed into the 2nd strake on either side of the keel.

All responses appreciated

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Removable Deck Suggestions

This is easy to do with an aluminum boat, a fiberglass boat not so much.

The best you could probably do would be to install hatch covers in strategic places that you would like to check... but really, your bilge should be filled with expanding foam and there shouldn't be anything to check. All you'll be seeing is the top of the foam.

Porshaah

Cadet

Thanks for the response jigngrub

The bilge is empty space no foam from the factory was ever installed. Foam is installed at the upper front and back of the boat. I guess a better term to describe what I want to do is a a semi permanent deck. One in which I don't have to cut through fiberglass tabbing to access the full area. I'm looking for suggestions on a tried and true method to create this semi permanent deck to hull attachment, while maintaining the structural integrity of the hull, if in fact my assumption is true as mentioned above, that the combination of the deck/hull is in fact structural and adds strength to the hull.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the response jigngrub

if in fact my assumption is true as mentioned above, that the combination of the deck/hull is in fact structural and adds strength to the hull.

... and that's why you don't see f'glass boats with removable decks, only hatches... and the edges of the hatches should be supported by stringers and bulkheads.

pckeen

Commander

The difficulty here is why? Do you want to be able to inspect the hull? Inspect a mechanical or electrical component (wiring, fuel)? Use this as storage space? If you want storage - use a hatch. If you want to inspect a particular component, use an inspection cover or hatch. If you just want to be able to inspect for the sake of inspection....if you need to do this, then something seriously bad has happened to the boat, so you won't be looking at a thirty second fix anyway.