Help with carbs on 115 HP outboard

coz

Cadet
Engine runs great about half the time. Other half time it bogs down and will die when going to full throttle.
I decided to clean carbs, but for starters I can't find a socket that will fit on the nut, there's no room for the socket body.

Can someone help educate me a little on the carb set up? It appears the top carb is set up different than the rest. The drain from the bowl goes to a solenoid and then to some hose that I can't figure out where it goes. When I prime the fuel line with engine not running, fuel will come out of the top carb. After engine starts it does not come out, even when the engine bogs down.

I'm guessing this top carb only kicks in at full throttle. Also the bottom 2 carbs have a needle jet but the top carb does not.photo (1).jpg
The hose from the solenoid to the other larger hose has been removed in the pic. It was tore at the end.

Last edited:

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help with carbs on 115 HP outboard

First, its not a solenoid,its a fuel enricher.
You have too check the float height,inlet valve and seat in your top carb.Probably a leak here.
Its possible that a carb cleaning will be enough,do that since carb is already disasembled.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It would help to know what year motor you are talking about. My guess is an early 80s inline six. If inline six, all carbs function all the time. Is it possible that you have carbs from different year motors mixed on yours?

You should be able to get at the carbs, but you may need to remove the starter first. I may have used a 1/4" drive socket set, but really don't remember.

The enrichener should drain fuel from the top carb into the lower carbs to act as a choking device.

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

Coz, I remember having the same problem getting to the carbs when I tore mine apart. I had to the remove the bowl cover on the lower carb to gain access to the upper bolt nut on that carb. I do remember scratching my head a bit on that one.

coz

Cadet

It's a 1988 inline 6. Got all carbs off and cleaned, everything seems to be working ok, floats etc.

Still have the same problem. Boat bogs down going to full throttle about 50% of the time. Much more frequently when under load like pulling a skier or backing off the trailer. Happens in reverse a lot.

Could it be the fuel pump?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Does the motor bog immediately after advancing the throttle from idle to fast? If so, it may be the carb idle mixture is too lean.