Charging battery now

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The old 50 horse mercury will charge the starting battery as it runs now. Is it feasible to try to charge the trolling motor battery at the same time? How would they have to be switched in to do this? Would the motor have to be connected to the starting battery all of the time to avoid damage to the motor? Right now I am thinking some kind of automatic switch but I really don't know for sure.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Charging battery now

Your charging system puts out very little current. It may be enough to offset the amount used to start the motor with a reasonable run time, but your trolling motor battery is another matter. Your trolling motor sucks a lot of juice out of it, and it would take a long, long time for the outboard to put it back. You could install an ACR or a battery switch (or both), but don't expect much charging of the trolling motor battery.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Charging battery now

Thanks Bob! I will check to see what the charging rate is. I installed a volt meter and a tachometer after I got all of the electrical work finished on the motor. The volt meter shows up to 16 volts at times but I forgot what the amperage is supposed to be that it is generating.
I feel a lot better about running the boat on big lakes now that it is charging the starting battery. Tom