slight bow in rear floor

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, the floor in my '89 18' Maxum is slightly sagging at the very rear near the transom. It's sagging about a half inch at the center/rear of the floor(over the fuel tank). The floor itself feels very solid/strong, and after getting a quick peek at the stringers through the bilge, they seem solid as well. Should this be something to worry about? <br /> Also, i notcied through other pictures, that many boats have no floor support over the fuel tank area, and i am puzzled. I mean there are stringers on both sides of the tank, but what about the gap over the tank? As we all know wood isnt the strongest material and does have tendencies to warp if not well supported. <br /> Anyone one else have any floor problems over your tanks? Should i do something, or not even worry about it? Again, the floor seems strong without any movent as i walk on it, but it's still in the back of my head. :confused: <br />what do you think ?<br /> Jamie

Realgun

Commander
Re: slight bow in rear floor

Replace it. I thought the same thing you did it felt solid. My brother came over to look at the boat and he and I were standing on the wood and I heard a wierd ping. And when we stepped off that ping again. We actually touched the tank enough to bend it! And that was the best part of the boat floor in my boat.

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey realgun,<br /> I have a few questions for you, since our boats are just about the exact same design. I saw in your pictures, your boat has 2 stringers that run along the the bilge and two "bulkheads" or cross supports that run opposite direction near the hatch? Is that right or am i just not looking correctly? just curious. i thought there would be more stringers... Since you had the same problem as me over the fuel tank, did you make any extra reinforcements that werent there before? <br />It prob would be a good idea for me to replace the rear section of my floor, but i would just hate to rip it up considering how solid it feels, even with several people on it. <br />btw, you did a nice job on your floor... coming along great!

Realgun

Commander

The boat has the two sringers about 24 inches apart. There are two bulkheads for and aft of the fuel tank and thats it. I put a 1x2 on the front of the hatch as I though it rellly needs the support. I stepped on the 1x2 and in flexed so I uses a 2 inch piece of plywood epoxied to the bottom for strength no bending now! And it leaves room for skis and such. <br /><br />To support the floor which is 1/2 inch ply. I used some S-Colth which is 30% stronger than regular cloth for the weight. It extends at least ten inches past all floor edges.<br /><br />There is little or no flex in the floor. <br />In the Sea trial ok lake trial I had 5 good rollers and hit them full throttle and 90 degrees man my teath are still rattling! The floor joints seats and seat boxes are still intact. Yes i looked with a magnifying glass to really be sure I did not need anything else. I was a wee bit concerened abou that joint as I see people here using 4 layers of cloth and mat for this joint.<br /><br />I did use a thinken epoxy with fibers only on these joints. 1 part to stick it to the sides the 2nd to fill the gap and to go over the edge of the floor. The cloth has a smooth transition from floor to sides.