89' Rinker Captiva with a 4.3l mercrusier alpha one acceleration problems

I am having issues with my engine accelerating. It started half way through the season last year and gradually got worse. The engines starts easily and idles how it should. It throttles up to about 1500rpm just fine, after that it seems to have no power. I can leave the throttle about about half way open and the boat will gradually accelerate with surges of power. I can not get it over 3000rpms. I have replaced both fuel filters and started off this season with no gas in the tank and fresh fuel. I have also replaced the cap and rotor. Anyone have any clue what could possibly be causing this. If you need any more information I will let you know what I can. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 89' Rinker Captiva with a 4.3l mercrusier alpha one acceleration problems

Welcome to the forum

Not knowing your engine serial number, and guessing you have a carb, I would say you need to have your carb cleaned.

Bondo

Staff member

I am having issues with my engine accelerating. It started half way through the season last year and gradually got worse. The engines starts easily and idles how it should. It throttles up to about 1500rpm just fine, after that it seems to have no power. I can leave the throttle about about half way open and the boat will gradually accelerate with surges of power. I can not get it over 3000rpms. I have replaced both fuel filters and started off this season with no gas in the tank and fresh fuel. I have also replaced the cap and rotor. Anyone have any clue what could possibly be causing this. If you need any more information I will let you know what I can. Thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... It sure Sounds like a fuel delivery issue,....

Fuel pump, 'n carb come to mind,...

What was In the filters when ya changed 'em,..??

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum

Not knowing your engine serial number, and guessing you have a carb, I would say you need to have your carb cleaned.

Yes it has a carb, a MerCarb to be exact

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... It sure Sounds like a fuel delivery issue,....

Fuel pump, 'n carb come to mind,...

What was In the filters when ya changed 'em,..??

For it being an 89' I was surprised to see how little there actually was, possibly rust maybe dirt, but I changed them anyways. Last night for something to do I unscrewed the anti-siphon valve and the fuel pick up tube. Both were extremely clean. Also looked inside the tank, extremely clean as well. I also checked my tank vent to make sure it wasnt clogged. Nothing found that was wrong.

alldodge

Staff member

Sounds like you looked at everything except the carb, still think it needs cleaning. The carb has a few very small passages which can get clogged up very easy.

take a look at spark aresster on top of carb may be dirty as in a dirty air cleaner

Ran with the spark arrestor off as a test. Have also sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew it out with the air compressor

Sounds like you looked at everything except the carb, still think it needs cleaning. The carb has a few very small passages which can get clogged up very easy.

Well I purchased the overpriced carb rebuild kit today. Ill let you know on the outcome.

Well not the out come I was hoping for. Carb is rebuilt but no change in performance. It does start easier since someone before me had the choke adjusted wrong. Anyone one have any other ideas? It still has the surging. I am kind of leaning towards the fuel pump. It has a manual style pump.

alldodge

Staff member

Surging will not be caused by a fuel pump on a carb engine, but in review you have said you have done everything but still has the issue. Well hope someone else can give you an idea

This may be nothing but the sight tube had a bunch of black crap in it. I blew it out awhile ago. Could this possibly be a sign of the pump being bad? I know the sight tube is to see if your pump is ruptured, but what could cause it to get black stuff in there? If the pump is running fine I would thing nothing should ever be in that tube.