1989 140 evinrude runs fast for only a few min.

rwrcrappie

Cadet
motor sat for a few years.when going fast the motor trys to stall.i slow down and the motor runs ok than go faster and it wants to stall.when I pump the bulb it never get hard.could it be something with the gas line.its almost like its not getting gas.and when I pump the bulb it should get hard but it never does.i did change 1 gas line that was leaking .maybe another 1 has a leak.i used the boat 5 times and 1 time the bulb got hard.and it ran good.it also has a manual primer and I don't know what it does.i don't know y the bulb wont get hard

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 140 evinrude runs fast for only a few min.

The primer bulb has a valve in it, you should be able to feel it if you shake it around, sometimes holding it with the arrow up while pumping helps it work, nevertheless it should get hard after a few pumps meaning the float inlet valves are working correctly.
also, I always suspect the fuel pump, or fuel delivery. new is nice but doesn't always rule out defective, have you tried pumping the primer while motor is running, any improvement would suggest fuel delivery. on rebuilding my carbs i let the carb body soak in carb cleaner for a night before blowing out all the passages, some people suggest running a small wire through the holes, good luck. other things to check could be gasket on back of fuel pump or correct hose for pulsating tube, throttle position corresponding w/ remote lever position, wires shorting. float sticking...

rwrcrappie

Cadet

1 more thing when i pump the bulb gas comes out of the carb .please help

fireman57

Captain

sounds like your float is stuck in that carb. Take it off and disassemble. Clean it thoroughly. Take your float off and make sure the seat where the needle valve goes is clean. Teh needle valve is the little post that dangles from the float. Make sure when you put it back together that the float moves freely up and down when you turn the carb over. Also, when you put the float back on the indentation goes up when the carb is turned upside down. The float should be level when the carb is upside down too. Easy job.