Evinrude 50 fuel supply issue.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class
Details on what I have
Evinrude VRO 50hp Model # E50TLCEC, Serial # G 02291634
Johnson/Evinrude Seloc Outboard 1973-1989 Repair Manual

I believe my fuel pump and/or solenoid has gone bad. I know there are some threads about installing these items on an Evinrude 50 VRO but can any of you direct me to a start to completed project that has pictures. Pictures and shiny things... it's the way I roll.

Details:
a. Did a spray in Evinrude carb cleaner, changed plugs and fuel filter and put on a new fuel cell hook-up before the Canada trip 2 weeks ago. Engine was purring and running great until Thursday night and Friday of the trip

b. By Wednesday I noticed the primer bulb was not staying hard when I pumped it before running the engine.

c. Later I noticed the engine would lug and lose power at WOT or planing speed after longer periods of time if the fuel cell was at 1/4 tank.

d. by Thursday the engine would lug and lose power at WOT but pumping the primer bulb got the engine up and running fine for a while.

e. By Friday the engine would run for 3-5 min. at WOT then lug and cut out. I could get the engine to start and idle and even run at trolling speed no problem to get back to dock. All this leads me to believe I have a fuel supply issue.

So my questions are -
1. Is there and existing thread with pictures and solid explanation of how to problem solve this issue?
2. Should I consider switching over to a non VRO fuel pump? I really like the Keep It Simple Stupid mantra of life.
3. If I switch to a non mixing fuel pump can I simply disconnect and leave the existing pump and put a non VRO pump in a different spot on the fuel side of the engine?
4. Is this a simple enough project that a non-mechanic person like myself can do or should I take this away and spend $400 (that was the quote I got last week).

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evinrude 50 fuel supply issue.

Checked the solenoid after disconnecting the primer solenoid wiring and got a 6.4 ohm reading. Then I checked the purple/white connector on the engine harness and that came out 12.7. Both readings look to be in the ranges I find on my Seloc manual of 4.0-7.0 ohms for the solenoid and 10-14 VDC for the circuit.

If the fuel pump has a leak or issue would I see gas seepage around the pump?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

not sure of your solenoid stuff but , someone elese just dissassembled their vro and cleaned it up and it cured their surging problem. personally i would check all lines filters and connections, read the sticky ath the top of the forum, order a premix pump/carb rebuild kits, dissassemble clean pump and carbs. and install new fuel pump if necessary. id say 150 and a couple of days but much satisfaction, good luck.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

not sure of your solenoid stuff but , someone elese just dissassembled their vro and cleaned it up and it cured their surging problem. personally i would check all lines filters and connections, read the sticky ath the top of the forum, order a premix pump/carb rebuild kits, dissassemble clean pump and carbs. and install new fuel pump if necessary. id say 150 and a couple of days but much satisfaction, good luck.

Thanks pn. I just went to the sticky at the top of of the evinrude/johnson page just before looking at your post and found this...
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/vro-premix-388154.html
I may go the pre-mix route due to cost. Save a couple bucks and get out on the water.

Otte

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just ordered the Sierra Fuel pump from iboats for a very fair price. Just over $50 including S/H. It is the non VRO 18-7352 version. To remove the old VRO pump -
Questions:
What are my steps in removal?
Should I cut the fuel hose(s) or wrestle with the zip ties to remove hoses whole?
My plan is to replace the hoses and start fresh. Are the fuel hoses of a special marine type or is this something I can pick up at an automotive supply or small engine repair store (like Ace Hardware)?