1973 Evinrude 25 hp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yerfdog79

Recruit
I recently acquired a '70something 14' Shakespeare WonderCraft. I had a 18hp Fastwin that is from the 50's on it that is good, but not good enough. I found an '73 Evinrude 25 sitting around the farm. I took off the cover and it was full of insulation, mouse nest ya know. It wouldn't turn over as the cord mechanism was stuck and also the engine wasn't stuck, not froze up. Cleaned the carb and goteverything freed up no problem, turns over with pull and good compression. The engine has two ignition coils on the side, both rusty, one cracked. There's corrosion, from I guess the mouse home, where the nest was. Im not getting fire and it looks to be corrosion free up by the flywheel and I am to understand the timing and points and stuff is up under there somewhere. My question is, should I start with the coils to get it running? My 18hp hp started right up after sitting for god knows how long. Thanks in advance!

IMG_20130708_114317_228.jpg

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1973 Evinrude 25 hp question

Well, if it has good compression, you can proceed with other things. I'd be looking for 100+PSI and even across the cylinders. If good, then you know you need at least one coil, so I'd replace both of them. Then check for spark. If you still have no spark, you'll have to pull the flywheel and check the points. There is also an exciter coil under the flywheel which could go bad. If you get spark on one cylinder but not the other, then the exciter coil is probably ok and the points need cleaning/adjusting or replacing.

G

Lindy is right, but don't forget the waterpump, if its still running the Brady Bunch pump impeller (original) you need to change it. I bought this exact motor new in "73 and it was the most bullet proof motor I've ever owned, If you do get her to run, which I think you will, you will have a solid outboard. ( I now have a 73 Johnson 25 that runs better than my 93 Evinrude 25)

You can still get parts for this engine as they were made from 1957 to 1976. Go to the Evinrude sight and pull down the Parts drop down. This will take you to the OMC/BRP Parts catalog, Type the year of the motor and model number (Off your transom clamp) into the form (e.g. E73R25) This will give complete exploded views of your engine components and part numbers. You can use the part numbers you need to google the price.

Good Luck!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
3 year old thread. He probably has it going by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.