merc 165 engine coughing smoke

tallguy64

Cadet
So been working on my project boat, finaly had time to get my second engien running. so far what i have done, i have replaced points, condensor, and spark plugs. Also rebuilt the carb. It now starts and runs good. will sit at idle all day long no problems. but as i bring it up off idle i assume around 3000 rpm, no gauges right now as i am running the engine outside of the boat. it will start to cough a puff of white smoke. Which i know is oil burning but i am not sure why. my cylenders all measure 135 to 145 except number 1 which is runing at about 100. no smoke on decel or idle. lots of smoke on hard accel blip of thorottle. the smoke puffs seem random when holding mid rpm. I want to say rings but on this old gm 250 inline 6 im not sure if i am headed in the right direction. my next thought is to do a leak down test and see if i can tell if it is valves or rings... am i headed in the right direction? also any tips or thoughts or things to look for as i move forward?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: merc 165 engine coughing smoke

So been working on my project boat, finaly had time to get my second engien running. so far what i have done, i have replaced points, condensor, and spark plugs. Also rebuilt the carb. It now starts and runs good. will sit at idle all day long no problems. but as i bring it up off idle i assume around 3000 rpm, no gauges right now as i am running the engine outside of the boat. it will start to cough a puff of white smoke. Which i know is oil burning but i am not sure why. my cylenders all measure 135 to 145 except number 1 which is runing at about 100. no smoke on decel or idle. lots of smoke on hard accel blip of thorottle. the smoke puffs seem random when holding mid rpm. I want to say rings but on this old gm 250 inline 6 im not sure if i am headed in the right direction. my next thought is to do a leak down test and see if i can tell if it is valves or rings... am i headed in the right direction? also any tips or thoughts or things to look for as i move forward?

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a Solid plan,...

ziggy

Admiral

a puff of white smoke. Which i know is oil burning
i thought that, generally speaking.
white smoke indicates water (water turning to steam while trying to burn)
blue smoke indicates oil (burning oil)
black smoke indicates to rich. (too much fuel)
don't know if that'll help, but that's what i thought.

tallguy64

Cadet

You are correct i typed this late last night but its is the white/bluish smoke coming from burning oil. it is defienatly not steam as i can smell the burnt oil.

The part i am strugleing with is the randomness of the event. and im not sure of what would cause this to happen randomly.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Pull the spark plugs, 'n see if they can tell ya anything,....

Do a Compression, 'n leak-down test while yer lookin',....