Yamaha 3 cylinder 25hp

duck_hunter

Recruit
I recently traded with a friend of mine to get a 1998 Yamaha 3 cylinder 25 hp (25MSHW3). It had set up for some time, and I now have it running. It is on my 1548 weldbilt duck hunting boat, and it is running about 28mph with me and one person riding with me. Does that sound about right? I was really expecting it to hit in the low 30's...

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Yamaha 3 cylinder 25hp

Me too, but it oughta jump you up on plane QUICK!!!

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

We don't know how much weight is in your boat(people,gas,decoys,gear,decked out with plywood,water logged foam,etc...),condition of the hull,the size prop,rpm's,motor setup right...
Doesn't sound way off,if any to me either...although there are lots of variables to consider,to get the max out of any outboard/boat.

duck_hunter

Recruit

You got that right there are tons of variables. I just wasn't sure of what these motors are known to run w/out any mods. It definitely has plenty of hole shot!

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a great hole shot,MAYBE,you can turn a bigger prop.
Without a tach it's kinda a crap shoot...plus you might be going over the recommended rpm range,with what your turning now.
The aftermarket tachs out there that are inexpensive and will give you the numbers that MIGHT help gain acouple mph.

duck_hunter

Recruit

Thanks! May have to give that a try. Just out of curiosity does anybody know if you can ad tilt/trim to one of these motors? I know w/ a little work you can put 40hp tohatsu carbs on it....might be an option...more money to spend...my wife will be proud. Lol