Exhaust and Shift Bellows condition, change out frequency

Dui

Seaman
Attached pics show condition Of the Bellows. The exhaust and the gimble bellows appear to be in better condition than the shift cable bellows. Is the discolouration normal or is there a potential issue. They have gone through 4 seasons averaging about 25 hrs a season. Should they be replaced now? i have no issues except the discolouration of the cable bellows. oil is clean in both engine and drive.
The impeller is also original. I have read here that every two to 5 years the impeller should be changed. Should they all be done ?

Appreciate your recommendations in advance.
Dui

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Exhaust and Shift Bellows condition, change out frequency

Ayuh,... You should get upwards of 7- 8 years outa the bellows, before cracks appear,...

The coloration appears to be some sorta coatin' on the cable bellows, not a failure of the rubber,...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I change my impeller every two years regardless of operating hours. I pull my drive at least once a season to check general conditions and do other routine maintenance. I'm also very watchful of the engine water temp gauge trends, especially at idle, for signs of pending impeller problems.

ponchoman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just curious, is there a rubber conditioning spray or anything that would help keep the rubber soft? 7-8 years is pretty good however.

oldjeep

Admiral

The coloration looks like lake slime. Is your boat stored in the water?

Dui

Seaman

Good question on conditioner? Any Recommendations? The boat is stored in a covered garage port and is in the water only 25 hrs per year. Is 4 yrs too long for impeller changeout? Thanks for your responses.

Dui

Seaman

Any recommended products to spray/coat the rubber for better longevity?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Any recommended products to spray/coat the rubber for better longevity?

Nothing that really does anything.

Replace the bellows every 5 or 6 years and you will be fine. Waiting to the very last minute and miss it by a week or two and thing get expensive fast.

Same with the impeller. Merc suggests you disassemble and inspect the raw water pump every 3 year or 300 hours (whichever comes first) and replace parts as necessary.
At that point, why put in all new gaskets and a three year old impeller. According to that logic, the next impeller inspection is not for another 3 years? What if it was marginal at 3, would you expect it to go 3 more.
We don't have a clue what type of water you boat in, or if you see a lot of mud or crap in the water, or sandy beaches. All can take a tole on things, and you don't want to wait till the last minute. ..................... Well maybe you do, and just expect everyone else to guess how long.