04 merc 3 cylinder, 2 cycle upgrades...

Merc40fisher

Cadet
Hey guys, I know this has been beaten to the ground more times then we can count, but I know for a fact it's possible. I have a 2004 mercury 40HP 3 cylinder 2 cycle. Model #1043412DD, serial #1B033613. Now to clarify, I am NOT trying to convert to a 50 or 60HP, so please don't tell me it's not possible, I'm not trying to convert anything, I'm simply tryin to upgrade a 40HP motor to have more power. So now... Iv tried to compare part number from a 40-50-60HP motors because everyone says to put 60 carbs on it. Some diagrams say the only difference is the jet, while others have completely different part numbers all together. I'd like to talk to someone that has experience with this motor and upgrades. I believe I may need 60 carbs, 60 reeds/reed block, and a 60 oil pump. All that should get me some more HP then I have now. If someone could help me out on what parts I'm exactly looking for off of what motors. I'm just confused on what model/serial # to look for on the 50 or 60 to compare part numbers. If someone has some real world experience or could point me in the right direction for parts I'd be greatly appreciative!! Thanks guys.

vance14

Cadet
Re: 04 merc 3 cylinder, 2 cycle upgrades...

The 40 has an exhaust restrictor that would have to be removed as well.When I enquired a few years back i was told removing the restrictor and jets would get me 50 and to go to 60 I would need carbs and some ignition work.I didn't go any further because from what I under stand its a bit of a job to remove the restictor.

Merc40fisher

Cadet
Re: 04 merc 3 cylinder, 2 cycle upgrades...

Thanks for the reply Vance, I figured it would be some pretty good tear down involved to get it how I want. I'm not lookin for a full on 100Hp rebuild that'll run 70 MpH. Just a few upgrades to get my boat up a little faster since its kinda heavy and where I normally fish has a 40HP max limit so a 60 or so is out of the question. I know a few people on here have probably done this "bolt on" up grade I guess you could say. But any help is appreciated. Thanks.