Trim & Tilt problems!!!!!

rescue95095

Cadet
OK so I have a 1974 mercury 850 thunderboalt 85 HP, I have power trim and tilt and has been working great, I noticed oil leaking, it got worse, the gaskets on the inside of pump were bad, i got new gaskets from auto zone/napa and they were close in size but ended up squirting oil out again. Do i need sealer on the o rings? I dont know the model of trim and tilt motor there is no markings on it, it just has a fill port "small screw" says use 5w-30 oil so thats what i put back in and it has a little knob that says leave locked or all the way out when driving so I always leave it out. ???? i am not sure if i am doing anything right on this but i cant figure out how to get this thing to maintain oild with no leaks like when i 1st got it, any help or ideas would be great!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim & Tilt problems!!!!!

Orings on pump/reservoir are leaking? Oring where top of reservoir meets pump are leaking? Reservoir/pump Oring is discontinued, so hopefully that is not it.

There was not listing for a PTT unit for that motor. Likely it was taken off an 1150 or a newer IL4. If it is the OEM PTT unit, the external orings for the control valve and plate are avail for small money from the crowleymarine website.