new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyjack

Recruit
I am new to boating and have just acquired a ski centurion tru trac ll . I'm told that it is a 1989. Where can Iget info on this boat.It says it was the official US open towboat, I assume for 1989 but am not sure.I would like to get owners manuals etc.The VIN is FINA1648H889. I would like to know what size motor it has (looks like a 351 Windsor with a Holley 4V ). I would also like to know about the charts on the dash and dual speedometers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: new owner

You're not going to find an owner's manual. The boat industry doesn't treat boat purchases the way you're accustomed to with your car. That being said, there are universal standards for some things, such as wiring. Your best bet is to accurately identify your engine and outdrive, then obtain a service manual for them. That, you ought to be able to find.

I'm a relative newbie to boating but I started just like you and this is what I learned along the way. Other more experienced guys hopefully will weigh in.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

It says it was the official US open towboat, I assume for 1989 but am not sure.

So were Mastercrafts, and Ski Nautiques. And possibly a couple of others. If I'm not mistaken, all that means is that it meets all the criteria required to be used in sanctioned events.

whiskeyjack

Recruit

Thanks for the input guys. As for the engine It looks like a 351W and has a 351 firing order so I guess if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck. I will try to post some pics. of the dash.The pics I have are too large to download.

agallant80

Commander

This is always said to new owners. Do you have the paperwork? I see you are from Canada and I don't know what the laws are there but in the states people tend to buy boats or be given a boat without paper work, they start putting money in to it to fix it up then discover that they need to register the boat which requires a title which they don't have. Only reason I am asking is because if you had proper paperwork to go with the boat it would state the year. Though I could be wrong seeing as how I don't live in Canada.

whiskeyjack

Recruit

From the reading I've done, the boat registration and licencing are different in Canada.Only commercial boats have to be registered. I do however have to licence it. All that is required to licence a boat is to fill out a licencing form and send it along with a bill of sale.The same original numbers are left on the boat I found the original licence taped to the under side of the deck an this boat is a 1989 and was first licensed in Wisconsin.

pckeen

Commander

For posting pictures, if you have a windows computer, just open your pictures using windows photogallery, and go to the edit page, then click on 'resize' - resize to the smallest option. In terms of posting, post number 7 on this thread will tell you how to do it.

By the way - if you are in Canada, you are correct. All i needed to register my boat was a bill of sale. Made it way easier.

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander

Nice looking boat - I don't care who you are, the "Official Towboat" is cool. I couldn't read the chart on the dash - was that a chart of pre-existing records? It wasn't large enough for me to read in the photo.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea I'm with you the towboat sticker is pretty cool lol. Just don't be the guy who invents the story that you drove the boat in an event :p

Very sharp boat, welcome to the newest life addiction.

southkogs

Staff member

Good lookin' boat. Ski Centurion was never a top line ski boat. It was entry level, but well kept they are a decent boat. As you can see, they are a pretty boat. Does yours have the warming tube? I was selling at a dealer who carried the line for a while in the mid-90's and one model (don't recall which) had a tube that would vent heat from the engine compartment into your wet suit. Ya' smelled like carbon monoxide, but you were a little warmer :)

Comp ski boats had two speedometers (it was a rule for a while, dunno' if it still is) because speed was so critical in competition skiing. Marine speedometers historically have been less than precise, so the theorem was between the two speedometers you would get a more accurate speed indication.

The chart next to the helm is a speed chart for the different courses. It's been too long ago to remember exactly how it works, but the rough idea is that competition skiing requires some standards and tow speeds are part of those standards. The driver needs to know what speeds to pull the skiier at ... al la chart.

Enjoy the boat!

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
My cousin, who's a tournament quality slalom skier, became enamored with the wake of the ski centurion falcon when he got a pull behind one at our annual family lake trip. Ultimately, he decided to buy one, but in the early to mid-90s none were to be found in the east. My cousin lives in Northeast TN, practically in the back yard of of Mastercraft and Centurion, is/was a California company.

I wouldn't exactly call the Ski Centurion Falcon an "entry level" ski boat. It was designed to go head to head with MC, Nautique and Malibu. To say that the early boats didn't have the build quality of a MC or SN is defiantly a fair statement.

The chart on the bottom right of your boat is used to confirm speed with a stop watch. During a tournament, the official would sit to the left of the driver and use a stop watch to time the travel through the slalom course. That way they could declare that the pull was legal from a speed perspective. Back when your boat was built there were probably 5 - 6 boats that were certified by the AWSA to be tournament tow boats. Typically, each company would sponsor an event and that brand of boat would be used. It was a marketing thing.

To this day, the Centurion Carbon is an AWSA certified tow boat for 3-event tournaments. Like MC and SN, Centurion has gone off in to the world of wake surfing and tournament ski boats are just a small niche portion of their model line. Centurion must be doing something right though since Correct Craft just purchased them last year. http://www.nautique.com/press/centurion-boats-and-supreme-boats-join-the-correct-craft-family

Here's a bit on the history:
http://builder.centurionboats.com/history/

Do you still have the boat pictured in this old thread?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you still have the boat pictured in this old thread?

Does it matter? The OP has not been here since July, 2013. Don't expect a response.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.