Engine Issue, Fuel, Electrical???? Help!!!

Matt3609

Cadet
I have a 1975 70hp Envinrude that loses power after running it for 15-20 min. I checked all the obviouse. I replaced the whole fuel system (primer bulb, fuel lines, fuel pump, filters, spark plugs with champions, rebuilt the carbs, new gas and oil) everything that has to do with fuel. All coils have good spark. It seams to me that the bottom carb doesnt get enough fuel sometimes not to sure seeing how its hard to see the gas spit out of the high rpm jet at wot. I hooked up the battery cables wrong one time creating a spark and i pulled it off real quick, someone said that i could possibly have burnt up the rectifier. im looking for someone who might be able to tell me what else i should look for/test and how to test that part. I do have some mechanic expierance thanks for all the help

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine Issue, Fuel, Electrical???? Help!!!

make sure motor is peeing and not overheating, take a look at the secret files and go step by step.

fireman57

Captain

rectifier is shot but like pn said make sure it isn't overheating or you have an expensive and heavy anchor if you continue to run it.

Matt3609

Cadet

How much water should be coming out the to holes? Its not a steady stream it spits. After running it when it starts acting up i pull the cover off put my hand onto the fly wheel and its hot but it doesnt burn. After replacing that rectifier it seams to be a smig better but still cuts out, i removed the bowl drain on top carb and it wasnt getting any fuel i removed the carb on the water/fishing freed up the needle put it back on started it back up and it was good for about 10 seconds then went to hell again. Ill have to pull the lower end and check out the impeller and also check compression and get new carb kits if that doesnt solve the problem guess im gunna have to buy a bigger anchor line.... Thanks for your input

fireman57

Captain

you need to take care of the overheating first. If your telltale just spits that is not good enough.You may have a blockage in the water jackets around the cylinders. You would need to remove the head and run a stuff wire and find a hose nozzle that will fit in them and flush it would the best you can. For your telltale weedeater string works well if it is plugged. You will need a new head gasket when you do this and make sure you torque it back to spec,run it a few hours and retorque. If your blockage in on the exhaust side that is a whole 'nother issue. Check your impeller first. Even if it looks good replace it, you are only talking about 20 bucks and you already have it off. The flywheel temp means nothing. You should be able to hold your fingers on the top of the head for a count of 5 before rapidly pulling them away.

Matt3609

Cadet

There is not a telltale nipple on the engjne i looked into putting one in but with that year engine they did not recomend it sfter work i will be checking compression impeller carbs

Matt3609

Cadet

do the two yellow wires on the rectifier get connected to the two yellow wires on the stator?