Small aluminum boat ID and transom suggestions

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently acquired this boat while I was out of town for business, and I have no idea what it is.

Can anyone ID this boat? The old registration lists it as a 1985, 14 foot (actually it is 13.5), green, metal boat.

Also, any suggestions on replacing the transom wood and adding support?

Thanks!!!

full 1.jpg full.jpg front close.jpg back.jpg back2.jpg

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Small aluminum boat ID and transom suggestions

transom wood pics...

tran1.jpg tran.jpg tran2.jpg

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

13.5 = 14 foot when it comes to boats. There were a slew of makers. As long as you have the correct paperwork for your state to get a sticker it does not really matter.

That transom does not look like it is bad to me. That is the way the made them back then, usually with another small piece of wood on the outside. If it is indeed rotten just replace it with the same thickness and you should be good for up to a 10HP with 7.5 max being better.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Right on, I understand what you're saying.

The transom wood does appear to be rather unsound in my opinion. It also looks like as it aged someone drove the bots deeper and deeper into the wood.
So, I will end up replacing the wood.
Should there be a brace installed from the wood to the floor area, or is it not needed.

I will probably run it with a 10hp motor that was part of the package (2 old johnson motors neither ran, now one runs).

Thanks!

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had one rated for 10 with no brace. Currently have one rate for 25 and it has a brace. Brace can't hurt if you are comfortable and can make it water tight.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I'll see how it "feels" after replacing the wood and go from there.

Thanks!