Splitting a liner/cap from a hull

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have another thread going about my potential rebuild, but I have a more specific question.
I am dealing with a 1990 Stratos 1850 center console.

I just spoke on the phone with a local fiberglass boat repair guy. He described how they sometimes manufacture center console boats. He referred to the cap as a liner. He told be that on some center consoles, they would use a compound that is commonly called gunk to glue the liner/cap to the hull. Has anyone run into the use of this type of bonding material and if so, is there any possibility of breaking through the bond?

My hope is that the decking wood is shot and that they used this adhesive between the liner and the hull. Let the wood be the path of least resistance.

He said that Stratos boats were very well made and that it is likely that I have water logged flotation. That is my suspicion. If I can get the liner/cap off and the stringers are in good shape, then I'll take the liner to a local place to have them replace the floors and redo the gel coat for me.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Splitting a liner/cap from a hull

First of all, you should keep all of your rebuild questions in the same thread...
Makes it less confusing for the members and keeps things more organized...
The gunk the guy is talking about is most likely a PB mix...A.K.A. Peanut Butter=Thickened resin made from resin + some type of thickening agent added { some of which are Cabosil/aerosil, milled fibers, microballons + several others}
You may have to cut this joint with some type of oscillating saw, or a cut-off wheel...sometimes you may just have to go at it with a hammer and a chisel...
If you have a thread already started, you might want to contact a moderator and have this thread joined to it...
Also, if you haven't already, post up pictures of what you are working on and the areas that you have questions about...It makes it easier for the members to give you good advice when they can see what you see...
Good Luck and have Fun!
GT1M