Tri-hull doesn't like to center on trailer

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a 84 Venture Stallion, trihull, and a trailer with 2 bunks, and a front roller next to the winch.
Unless I load it, check it, maybe have to back into the water again to center it, etc, it usually sits 2" to the left of center.
I know this puts more weight on one side, but it seems to drive just fine..

My concern is long term will this affect anything?
I've thought about maybe adding a roller (maybe the self-centering ones?) in the center towards the back that might help center it when I'm loading it, but thought I might see what folks have to say. I'm a bit new to boating but don't want anything to break from this off center situation...

Thanks very much! I'll try and post pics later when I pull em off my phone.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tri-hull doesn't like to center on trailer

Will trailer guides help you know the two poles that stick up off the back or the trailer. I have seen them at bass pro and boat stores.

cur

Recruit

My boat was doing the same thing last year. Drove me nuts!

Ended up being the bunk boards were beginning to rot, bolts were slipping and the bunks would shift when the boat went on. Replaced the bunks this spring and loads correctly now!:joyous:

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Trihulls tend to be shallow "flattish" profile, center roller near back of trailer would probably never even contact the hull.

Now, a center roller just forward of the bunks could help. And as mentioned, trailer guides on the sides, perhaps of the roller type.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

try this... don't back quite so far in w the trailer and put your body weight in the center of the boat so that it is level when loading... I think you'll find that it starts loading in the middle

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is two roller trailer guides on the back of the trailer, though they don't touch the boat really...maybe I should bend them closer to the boat? They don't seem to be adjustable, just 2 static bolts and bolt holes, and where they're mounted they don't touch the boat.

Bunks are nice new fresh wood from what I can see under the carpet, but of course I'm looking at the bottom side of the bunk. It doesn't happen always too, I can go in and out of the water and adjust the boat and it will stay centered if I take the time to do that.

I did notice there really isn't too much of a V in back in the center, maybe 10-15 degree angles up, but if I mounted one up higher it could contact and perhaps make a little bit of a difference.

I'll have to try that smokeonthewater, I do put it in somewhat far so I can float it mostly to the front of the trailer.. I hate putting a lot of stress on the winch. I was thinking of putting the winch lower and where it at now adding a tie down strap so I don't have to worry about stressing the winch because it won't be the main point of stress holding the boat front down...