Ignition Key won't turn, kill switch???

icecube316

Recruit
Hello,

I am a total newbie. I have a 1989 Bass Tracker Pro17. It has a 1989 Mercury 35 HP oil injected outboard. I can't get the key to turn in the ignition, but it feels more like I am missing a kill switch than the ignition just being frozen. There is a toggel switch under the key hole on the controls that says run and off. I put that in run and nothing. Is there another switch, or anything I am missing? Any help is appreciated!

Steve

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition Key won't turn, kill switch???

Steve, Not sure I understand your post. You turn the ign key to start, and the motor does not crank? Is that it? or does it crank but not start?

Engine must be in neutral for starter to crank motor.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the OP is saying the key won't physically turn.

If so the kill switch is not the problem. Either Wrong Key or fozen switch tumbler.

phmorgan88

Cadet

Also should there be a lanyard for the run/off switch? Or is this different?

icecube316

Recruit

The key won't turn in the ignition, it is the correct key, it worked when I bought it. I have a lanyard that is not connected to anything. The lanyard has like 6 different clips that seem like they could go on a kill switch, so it is probably a univeral lanyard. None of these clips fit the run/off switch under where the key goes, which in on the control, under the throttle. Should I be looking under the console for a place to hook the lanyard? It is possible the tumbler is frozen, but it had been fine recently and it seems more like I am missing something than a broken tumbler. Thanks for the responses!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are ign key switches that have a built in kill switch. One of the clips from the lanyard might fit your ign key switch, if you have that type. They would fit directly under the key, and pull out slightly on the keyswitch.

The good news is that if you don't use the lanyard, you can still use the boat. Spray some penetrating oil into the keyhole and see if you can work the switch loose. Also, push the switch in slightly or pull it out slightly to exercize it.