Marine Stabil on every fill-up?

Clothman

Cadet
Have a 2006 Mercruiser. Living in MN, its difficult to find ethanol-free fuel. Would it be a good idea to add Marine Stabil on each fill-up, or just when the boat is in storage? Thanks.

Chris

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Marine Stabil on every fill-up?

On a 2006 Merc you have no worries about ethanol degradation.

See Ethanol Myths section:

The West Advisor: Gasoline Ethanol Your Boat

However, long term storage of ethanol content fuel is an issue, regardless of what machine it is used in. If you are laying up for a long period, add the stabilizer in a full tank to reduce the chance of phase separation.

oldjeep

Admiral

You need to add nothing to your fuel. I run mine off nothing but E10 and the fuel comes with stabilizers in it from the refinary, there is no reason to add anything for storage either. Just use it and park it with whatever gas is in it. Been doing it every year and never had a problem.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Won't hurt anything but it is not necessary unless you go for a couple of months between outings.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup! Been boating for 50 years and only use it during Winter storage. Save your money for gas & fun.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I use Sea Foam in every tank per the instructions on the can. I have a 2 stroke and use premium oil. Little to no smoke, engine runs like a top. Went 10 years without touching the carbs and when I did no varnish.

So now you have both sides. Seems asking the question didn't help you. But that's the way it is. We all are different and things happen differently.

Good luck on your decision.

Mark

agallant80

Commander

I don't use it on every fill. When I put the boat up for the winter I will fill the tank and add it per the directions but thats the only time.

pckeen

Commander

You don't need to use stabilizer (Marine Stabil) for every fill. However, if you are storing it for more than about six weeks, you should use stabilizer in the fuel. Regular fuel will begin separating out after that time, and the stabilizer prevents that from happening.