Gas tank prices..... Convert lawn gas can?

MattinTally

Seaman
i was wondering if it were possible to make a pickup tube and somehow convert a regular 5-gallon gas can that you'd use for a lawn mower into a boat fuel tank...... anyone ever tried? Cost of a 6-gal boat can @ Walmart was 60. A 5-gal. Lawn can was $16. And, I figured you could have 2 different caps and make the can multipurpose.....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas tank prices..... Convert lawn gas can?

A plastic 6 gallon gas tank at Wal*Mart list for $60.00? What country are you in?

I'm in Wal*Mart at least twice a week but haven't been in the marine section, however I'm going to take a look tomorrow.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Did you try Craig's List? I see them frequently here. I picked up 2 for $20. One metal - one plastic, both OMC. The metal one needed some work, but the plastic one was perfect.

82rude

Rear Admiral

A plastic 6 gallon gas tank at Wal*Mart list for $60.00? What country are you in?

I'm in Wal*Mart at least twice a week but haven't been in the marine section, however I'm going to take a look tomorrow.
yup 64.70 at wallyworld.still more stable then regular gas cans and looks like with a gauge.or as others suggested buy used,metal or plastic.i have several old merc and omc metal tanks and when I used them I just made sure one end was the same as motor.so several merc tanks have and are for omc at this time but simple to switch back to merc or anything else.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Joe, when you go to Walley world marine section hang on to your wallet; a 6 gallon tank is $60 and a 12 is $99. attwood has gone nuts since they can blame ethanol on their price jumps

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I think I paid $49.99 for the basic 6 Gallon plastic tank (without a guage) at Walmart. And truthfully, it is a P.O.S. The new tanks are designed to swell and expand (according to Attwood) to prevent fumes from escaping into the air. The vent plug (built-in) does not work correctly either. I did exactly as you suggested.....and made a temporary tank out of my lawnmower gas can, and it worked perfectly.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, its because there all fancy epa certified Greenpeace and designed to vent as little as possible. I bought one a couple weeks back and it sucks, no gauge and cant see thru it. Wish I woulda looked for a used see thru one. As for a homemade, it would be a little tall and awkward, but possible. Mabey drill a hole in the cap and run your hose thru and use two zip ties to hold it.

matt167

Captain

Take the EPA can. Drill a hole in it the size of a tire valve stem. Buy a threaded tire stem from a tire place, pull the valve in the center and install the stem in the hole in the tank. When you want venting, loosen the cap on the stem.

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the EPA can. Drill a hole in it the size of a tire valve stem. Buy a threaded tire stem from a tire place, pull the valve in the center and install the stem in the hole in the tank. When you want venting, loosen the cap on the stem.
good idea.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't know if they are still made but there is a thing called a Humm-Bung. They are made to fit a normal gas tank and you buy the one that has the fitting that matches your motor.

DLH