*update* fire restoration - '99 17'-6" glass tiller fishing rig

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Just saw this last night and wanted to pick a few brains on it ... wondering what some of your thoughts are. <br /><br /><br />
29uefa
29uejk
<br />
29uemr
29ueqw
<br /><br />Thanks guys

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: *update* fire restoration - '99 17'-6" glass tiller fishing rig

Strange. If it were a side console I'd say electrical fire. But since its a tiller and the controls are on the other side I wonder if there really was no problem with the boat and it was parked such that a structure fire damaged the boat. I suppose some wiring running down that side could have touched this off. Certainly looks fixable.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

It's fixable, you gotta cut out the bad stuff, go to the Skeeter factory and make, or have them make the parts you need from the proper molds and then you just fit them and glass them back in. For a couple 'o grand+parts and supplies from Skeeter you got a like new boat. Chief :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

hmmmmm... interesting! .. thanks guys! <br /><br />Chief- have you done something like this before? dealing with the manufacturer to get a molded section? Going by the photo it sort of appears to be just the lid and the leading edge of the interior (and rub rail).. of course I'd have to look at it in person or have someone take a look for me to understand it better. <br /><br />Do you think the integrity at the seams of the new piece(s) would be a problem in waves? wondering about warping of the glass too.. what do ya'll think?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Absolutely Barlow. They love to help in that way. What they'd really like to do is to sell you a new boat tho. I havn't dealt with Skeeter, but as a man that has made many molds for f/g manufacturers in my shop I get peices of parts quite often. I don't normally even get charged for the parts, explained to me that they make boats and their computers don't know how to charge for what it is they made for me. Chief :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

gimme a sawsall... turn that sucker into a flats boat post haste... :cool:

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Barlow, I missed the last part of your question. Using the proper materials and quality workmanship a patch of this sort will be stronger and more rigid than the original boat construction. In other words, you can make that boat better than new with some attention to detail. Chief ;)

D

DJ

Barlow,<br /><br />It's a real doable repair. Even for a hack like me.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

thnx guys .. I'll respond w/more later - I'm trying to get out of here to go fishing :D <br /><br />I appreciate it!!<br /><br />should be back with a few questions later-on tonight or tomarrow ..<br /><br />thnx again guys!! :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

One other thought, since someone mentioned sawzall, why not run an add or two, or check with dealers/salvage yards to see if you can find a damaged Skeeter with a "good side". Cut out what you need and leave the rest where you found it. That would probably turn into a scavenger hunt but that makes projects like this even more fun.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ok fellas.. I'm back to this a little later than I thought I would be. I'm contacting Skeeter with it today to see about the glass part(s)<br /><br />Here's the description of it: <br /><br />
"1999 Skeeter 1775 Fishing Boat, 80HP Yamaha 4 stroke Engine, EZ Load Trailer, Boat runs perfect very low hours, right side fire damage, needs fiberglass repair and carpet repair, Easy FIxer, Trailer and Engine are 2000 model year and the boat is a 1999 - Clear title "
now.. what kind of a price do you pay on this thing to make it worth while?? :confused: <br /><br />what are your thoughts??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Approach this carefully and don't let your emotions rule your decisions. You need to determine the value of the engine (ignore the fact it is attached to a boat). The trailer I assume is a Skeeter custom and is probably worth $900 give or take a little (a little more if it has brakes). As for the boat, get a used value for it undamaged, subtract the cost of parts, a reasonable amount for your labor, any contracted services (painting, upholstery, decals, etc), and a fudge factor for any possible hidden problems. Any restoratioin will also cost you 20 - 30% more than you estimate so. Add everything up and that's what you would have in it. The question then, is how close are those numbers to the price of the undamaged boat. To make this project worth while you need to buy the hull cheap. If you don't you are making a lot of work for yourself and in the end, may be able to buy an identical undamaged unit for the same price without the work.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx Upin.. been doing that whole equasion today.. waiting top hear back from or re-call Skeeter.. had to leave a message with a guy there so we'll see whaty comes of it.<br /><br />the motor itself is worth @ 4500.00 the way it sits I figure.. like you said @ 1000.00 for the trailer ,,, looking for the hull and accessories as we speak.. comes with a bunch of rod holsers and junk but thats not going to get entered into it. I'm checking with a guy here in town that I useed to know that does boat/glass repair on an approximate charge on the gell coat etc., .. <br /><br />we'll see what I come up with and how it compares...<br /><br /> :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

sold for $3,950.00<br /><br />... I just couldn't justify another project yet. :(

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It would appear it sold for the value of the motor and trailer and the boat was thown in for just a couple of hundred bucks. Someone has some work to do but may come out all right on the deal.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

my thoughts too Upinsmoke .. the total would've come out @ $7,400 plus a few extras I didn't bother collecting after I had realised I had 'big eyes' and stopped pursuing it.<br /><br />thanx again all