Starter rope

NYBo

Admiral
The owners manual for my motor has a section about emergency starting using a rope. However, it doesn't specify the diameter and length the rope should be. Anyone have this info?

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Starter rope

I just bought one at Wally World and it works. Could have made one myself, but it was cheap.

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately I have experience with this subject...lol...not so bad...Smaller the HP the Better. Length and diameter depend on the flywheel you are trying to pull...basic idea is to wrap 1/4" line around the flywheel in the groove under the teeth..you have to wrap it around itself enough to create friction to pull the flywheel, which may mean 2 or 3 wraps..give her a good yank making sure the line will pull the flywheel the correct direction..(CC) This procedure is surely risky so be sure the line will not snag and rip your hand into the flywheel...IE do not wrap the line around your wrist or hand..If your manual rewind has failed, this will substitute and start your motor in a pinch..granted there are no other issues..this probably works better on breaker points ignition. You are a veteran poster..what size motor do you plan on pull starting? Again..not much science here..make sure the flywheel will spin the correct direction and make sure you will not get wrapped up in it..make sure the line is freely wrapped but tight enough for friction to yank the flywheel....Ive never had a problem and always keep 5' of spare 1/4" line.

NYBo

Admiral

Motor is the 85 HP on the boat in my signature. The flywheel is designed with a notch to retain the knotted end of a rope for emergency starting if the starter or battery go bad. I know that this would only work if the motor is warm. Even though I think I'm in pretty good shape for my age, I may not have the oomph to do the job even with a warm motor!:redface:

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6429.jpg102_6427.jpg102_6428.jpg

Lawnmower starter rope. About 4 feet in length. With a handle. 3 cylinder, 4 cylinder---it doesn't matter. They take about the same force to pull.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

IF???? You think your gonna need to pull start anything???
Carry a can of starting fluid with you.
I don't usually suggest ether but yank starting anything, you need any help you can get!!!

Jiggz

Captain

As demonstrated by Frank, you need to make sure the control handle is position in fast idle to manually start. If the engine is cold, you obviously need to engage the choke also. Otherwise, with a warm engine this should be a cinch to do. And lastly, the braided cotton rope is the best for friction wise pulling.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Odd and really funny but I had such an emergency starter rope package with my inline 115HP Mercury...like I would ever be able to pull start that engine...:laugh: :faint2: :violin: If your battery is the issue and it won't crank anymore. You can actually pull the rope while somebody turns the key over and even a little bit of energy from the dead battery could help... Just better not to get in that situation though...if you can help it!

Last edited: