16' SS - Outboard Control Cables Length

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice
Saw the wires poking out of my control cables sheathing about to put a hole in my fuel line. I cut back a bit of the sheathing and saw the inner plastic sheathing over the control wire all busted up. Put some zip ties over the outer wires and this morning when I went out fishing it wouldn't idle down after starting. I had to cut some of the zip ties to relieve pressure on the exposed inter wire. Anyway, I'm looking to replace my control cables and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, what length did you use on a 16' SS? The ones that are on it now, look a bit long. They smash up against the top of the splash well when tilting the motor up. Not sure if it's relevant, but I'm running a Yamaha 70HP with Yamaha 703 Controls. I'll pull mine and measure them, just wanted to compare with others.

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 16' SS - Outboard Control Cables Length

Mine had 16' on it, I had to replace them and went with 15'. Still get a nice big loop and no tight bends. Even though they say the cables can be bent at 4", I wouldn't.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

my 16ss had 14' steering cable, and 16' control cables.

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Seems like 16' is the norm, but 15' works too. I might try to measure it with a string running it down the line without pulling it out first,, I'm on vacation next week and don't want to be without a boat.

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice

Wow,, just got around to measuring for my cables and if I "S" curve it in the way it is, looks like 12'. If I measure back, over and add 4' for a loop per the link above, 14' would do it. I think I'll go with 14' just to be safe.

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice

I pulled my cables. They measured 12' so that's what I replaced 'em with. I can't imagine how you guys with 16 footers have them routed or how far forward your controls are. These 12 footers still smash up against the top of the splash well a bit when tilting the motor up for travel.

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

The 16' cables ran pretty well to the back of the transom then did a big loop probably almost 3' in diameter, then out to the OB. I wanted to replace mine with what sounds like your setup. Was told that the cables needed to be looped. Does having the S curve have any tight bends?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The 16' cables ran pretty well to the back of the transom then did a big loop probably almost 3' in diameter, then out to the OB. I wanted to replace mine with what sounds like your setup. Was told that the cables needed to be looped. Does having the S curve have any tight bends?

Yes, getting loopy is better than getting bent. :D

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't S curve them quite like they were, more of a spread loop. I'll post a pic later today after it quits raining. I'm satisfied with them, no tight bends.

trafferty

Seaman Apprentice

Ok,, guess I did S curve them in there, my bad. I tried the loop but ended up going this way due to the kids climbing up on the port side from the rear. When the motor is down, they clear the fuel line just fine.

IMAG0223.jpg

Last edited: