55 hp Timing problem (BIG PROBLEM)

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last week I fired up the boat and discovered it would barely run. (Chrysler 55 hp w std ignition & alternator) I pulled the flywheel and discovered the points to be very dirty and corroded. I tried to find a new set however, the local sources around me stated they were discontinued and no longer available. (which means "they are old and they don't want to bother")

Because I could not find new points, I pulled a set off a donor 45 hp Chrysler which were exactly the same. So I cleaned and installed them. (gapped to .020 with a feeler gage) Despite doing this the motor did not run any better. After getting online, I discovered the points on my motor were incorrect and they were for a magneto ignition system which is different from the std ignition points. I have since ordered the right set of points online.

Does anyone know if using the magneto points on a std ignition will throw the timing off?

Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Re: 55 hp Timing problem (BIG PROBLEM)

It will not through the timing off. The timing is set by the timingrod (adjusting the length of it) that is connected to the breakerplate.
The differents between the points for battery ign. (standard) and magneto are quit big. Magneto ign. has a camcurve that open the points rather steep. Magneto ign. has to colaps the magneticfield when it it has reach the highest level.

SO. Put your new points on and gap it to 015 then it should work if you don`t have mess with the timingrod.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Nordin... I appreciate your insight on this matter.

It will not through the timing off. The timing is set by the timingrod (adjusting the length of it) that is connected to the breakerplate.
The differents between the points for battery ign. (standard) and magneto are quit big. Magneto ign. has a camcurve that open the points rather steep. Magneto ign. has to colaps the magneticfield when it it has reach the highest level.

SO. Put your new points on and gap it to 015 then it should work if you don`t have mess with the timingrod.

Litetwin4

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I discovered the timing problem was due to a broken key on the crankshaft. I am referring to the key which indexes the flywheel to the timing ring which open and closes the points.

I searched previous posts and determined the cause may be due to improper torque of the the flywheel. I will make sure to torque it to 90 ft lbs if torque. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue. This was an expensive lesson, the new key cost $25.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to hold the flywheel stationary while torquing it?

Nordin

Commander

I normaly use a large flat screwdriver who I lock the flywheel by puting it between the flywheelteeth and the bendixpully.
You may pull the benix out up against the flywheel.