1993 Evinrude 2 stroke 40hp lack of power from mid throttle on.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine runs great at idle, smooth up towards mid throttle, then falls flat on its face and starts misfiring. From an idle I can whack the throttle open and it jumps out of the water for about two seconds, then falls flat on its face. Pulling the choke out ever so slightly feeds it extra fuel and it runs like it should right up over 25mph. Push the choke in and it falls flat on its face. Pinch off one side of the choke to the carb and it misfires. Pinch off the other carb's choke line and it misfires. Definitely a lack of fuel to BOTH carbs.

So parts replaced for various reasons, stator, power pack, coils, spark plugs, which covers the ignition side, and it is not a timing issue. This is not an ignition problem. On the fuel side I rebuilt the fuel pump, which is pumping great! Fuel shoots out from the lines just on a hand crank. The priming pump gets hard and feeds fuel with no issues also. All fuel line connections are functioning with no fluid nor vacuum leaks. The carbs are getting all the fuel they need to run from the fuel pump as the choke is feed from the lower carb float bowl. I had recently rebuilt both carbs using Sierra rebuild kits and that seems to be when this problem occurred. The carbs were stripped put into my nice heated ultrasonic cleaner with Simple Green and came out spotless. Reassembled correctly as far as I can tell. Since then I have torn the carbs down twice more trying to find what could be the cause, including removing the jets and blowing them out, along with the rest of passages. Nothing is apparent. The jets can not be put in the wrong place and these are the simplest carbs in the world...well almost, there really is nothing to them. The gaskets appear to be correct for the application which I checked on assembly, but now unfortunately no longer have them to compare. I am considering buying 2 OE carb rebuild kits and starting over.

The reed valves shouldn't be the problem?? The boat runs like a champ when it is feed more fuel. Compression is good, and if I remember correctly around 145#'s cold (Of course every compression gauge will read different).

Both float bowls have enough fuel in them for the engine to run for a at least a minute at full throttle before running out of fuel, so even if it was a fuel pump issue, the primer bulb being pumped under way should keep the float bowls full. So back to just a minor lean condition, which is enough to cause a misfire in both cylinders. I can not find a vacuum leak since it goes reed block straight to the carb with only one gasket.

Anyone have a bad experience with Sierra carb rebuild kits? Any advice that doesn't involve gas and a match?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1993 Evinrude 2 stroke 40hp lack of power from mid throttle on.

Any extra oil leaking out down leg or any oil out of upper oil seal?
It shouldnt be reeds if idlings ok

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No extra oil. Nothing seems out of the ordinary other than the mid to high issue. What are you thinking with the oil leaking down the leg?

50:1 ratio if that makes a difference and it is TCW3, the same oil I have been running for years. Premium gas as always too. No water in the fuel (I have drained the float bowls a few times to record amounts of fuel in them), and I have a very nice canister filter/water separator mounted on the transom.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

i was thinking lower seal gone and running lean but i suppose idle would probably be bad then too
hows the plugs look?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are the little gaskets installed around the high speed nozzles in the float bowls ??

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was thinking lower seal gone and running lean but i suppose idle would probably be bad then too
hows the plugs look?
Plugs were cleaned and look fine. They have about 15 minutes of run time on them.

Are the little gaskets installed around the high speed nozzles in the float bowls ??
Hmmm...little gaskets? I do not remember removing any. Where exactly do they go? I can post a picture of the carb apart if you tell me what part you would want to see?

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What kind of gasket are you saying goes on the high speed jet Boobie? The parts below are the remaining parts left over from both carbs, after the rebuild minus the obvious parts that aren't used. Although I have the parts, for the life of me I can not find the more important directions :facepalm:

attachment.php

Zodiac carb.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I don't see the gaskets either in the carb or the kit. The part # you want is 338881 and they go around the center nozzle where your arrow is pointed. Put one of those in each carb and try it.

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boobie, I would like to thank you for pointing out my mistake and helping me to get my boat running properly. YOU ROCK! The part you mentioned was in fact not in place, and I was able to find them in a box of parts (Just glad I didn't throw them away). Boy do I feel like an idiot, but am glad the issue is resolved so easily.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Glad to have helped you and you got it fixed. It's always the little things that get ya'. LOL