Sputtered then Died

Chiste

Cadet
I have an 82 Evinrude 15 HP, I was on the lake the other day it was running fine and then about an hour into fishing when moving to a new place it started sputtering then died it sounded almost like something was bogging it down. the next day I got it started for about 3 seconds with the throttle full open and full choke then it died again now I cannot get it to fire. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE HELPFUL!! thanks again..

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Sputtered then Died

check compression and if thats ok clean carb and fuel filter.
Do a spark test too on both cylinders.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check if your plugs have spark. Could be a coil. Bad gas. Water in the fuel. Fouled plugs. There's a host of things that could be the problem.

Chiste

Cadet

I rebuilt the carb, I haven't done a compression check yet

Chiste

Cadet

how would I check for spark, I have never tried that before. I was thinking that it could be a bad power pack or plugs the fuel is new. Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You can just pull the sparkplugs from cylinders and put them into their boots and clamp them to somewhere metal on the engine away from where fuel sprays out of the cylinder. Check they all spark brightly.
Or you could be more thorough and check the spark consistently jumps a gap of at least 7/16.
You can do this by putting a screwdriver with insulated handle into the plug boot and hold it 7/16 off a metal part of the engine or you can make a gap between two nails on a wooden board for instance that has a lead to ground and one to the spark plug boot

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Buy a cheap open air gap spark tester at an auto parts house, set the gap to 7/16 " and crank it over with the plugs out. Should have a nice blue spark.