help!!! re-installing drive

scameron7

Cadet
so removed drive to replace water impeller kit have it all back together, put drive back on boat can't get it to go in reverse so now drive back on garage floor, so my question is when i put it back together and i have the shift shaft of the drive forward is the prop shaft locked clockwise or counter clockwise?:blue::confused::facepalm:

thanks scott

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: help!!! re-installing drive

look at the prop. What direction would it have to turn to push the boat forward? If you spin it in the Opposite direction it will lock.

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure the shifter shoe near the bottom of the drive is pointed forward before you start.

scameron7

Cadet

Ok so I separated the drive again and locked the shaft counter clockwise with the shift shaft facing straight ahead, now the controls move forward and reverse,the only thing I am confused about is that when it is in the forward position the prop is locked counter clockwise and reverse is locked clockwise.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

think about it. what direction does the PROP turn when driven by the motor. to the right. so the gears are locked to turn it to the right.
with the motor off, turning it to the left locks the gears and turning to the right ratchets them

oxfordgt

Seaman Apprentice

Put the throttle lever at WOT, put the shift lever on the drive so it faces towards the bow, turn the prop counter clockways till it locks and hold it. Spin it CCW to get the splines to line up, should slide right on.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Throttle lever does not have to be WOT, although that does make sure your are fully in FWD. Guess that makes it simple and consistent. (my shifter is in FWD when the lever hits the "notch")

Last edited: