Decision time on 68 Mark Twain "project"

c-block

Recruit
We had a nice 18' Mark Twain V-hull that I pulled out 15 years ago to repair a hydraulic line to the lower unit tilt. (Imagine sad details here.) It now has generally rotted vinyl and the very back of the hull is popped down and leaking due to freeze damage.

Are there people who buy and restore these boats? I've had opinions locally ranging from "junk" to "sell whole".

My opinion is that I should sell the motor and lower unit. I've had an offer of $300 on the motor.

Should I part it or are there people who buy these whole? I hate to destroy something that someone might want but I know relatively little about the boat business and this is the only place I can even think of to ask.

Knowledgeable advice appreciated.

c-block
(currently riding happily in a Glastron T-166)

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Decision time on 68 Mark Twain "project"

What you describe sounds on the verge of repairable. See if you can give it away. Someone may want the trailer and will dispose of the boat for you. Anyone rebuilding would have many times the value in materials figuring 100% free labor. Then you could sell the motor to pay the landfill fees.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Decision time on 68 Mark Twain "project"

It now has generally rotted vinyl and the very back of the hull is popped down and leaking due to freeze damage.

I'm not quite sure what this means. Hull is popped down due to freeze damage? If the engine/outdrive are good, throw it on craigslist for $500obo and see what you get. Otherwise, you have to try and sell the engine/outdrive separate from the boat, which just means more work for you to pull it and then scrap the hull. Someone may just want the drive, or the engine, or the trailer. So sell it for a few hundred on craigslist and let them take care of the dirty work.