Looking to buy our first boat

Jwprendergast

Recruit
My finance and I are looking to buy our first boat, and are looking for some recommendations; We are in our late 30s.

-We live in Orlando, and would like the ability to take it out to some of the springs (very important)
-comfortable with around a 19'-21' boat
-Itll just be the 2 of us and our 2 small dogs (pekingese) 70% of the time, with an occasional other couple coming along
-want the ability to go into the intercostal and offshore
-prefer a late model year boat (for a bit more reliability if well kept)
-dont plan on tubing or skiing much at all (if ever), but do want a quick boat
-tow vehicle is an 05 ram 1500

We have been to sea ray a few times, and really liked their 205 sport and 210 slx. Plan on purchasing before the end of the year; max of $25k. Thanks for any suggestions!

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking to buy our first boat

Paying pretty good money here are only some considerations: shelter-a small cabin is nice, in that price/size no prob--sun cover(top prefer sunbrella fabric---Outboards weigh less normally for towing---brakes on trailer--take an expert if you look at used, a lot of ways to get shafted on a used boat, even if you have to pay him well worth it--I am in the great lakes and alum. boats are popular up here just because theyre lighter, I know there is pro and con in Fla. with the salt. If I think of more considerations for a new boater will add later. Read everything you can find on boats, motors, and boaters safety and handling--a course is good if you have never done much boating-have to respect the water, if you don't you could loose your life.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

In Fl you will have a lot to choose from. A used EdgeWater may be found. The 205 EX would work but the cuddy is not huge due to the 66 sq ft of deck space. The 22' would work great. I've owned many sizes by many builders over the past 47 years-- and I'll not buy anything else.

tdshepard

Cadet

Some of the best advice I got here was to purchase "Getting Started in Powerboating" by Bob Armstrong. I also took an 8 hr Coast Guard safety class before I bought a boat. These two steps really helped me choose my boat.

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you will be trailering so another consideration is your tow vehicle, my apologies if I am being too basic for you but I can remember my first boat and all the little details I wasn't aware of.