AQ125a Won't throttle over 2000 rpm in gear

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an AQ125a,and I apologize if this is to much information, and if this is a stupid question, but I don't want to leave anything out. I have set the timing, however the RPM idle is at 1100 RPM, but that is for another day. I put the boat in today to test it out, and I can not get over 2000, RPM. I verified the timing, so I am good there. One thing I noticed when I would try and throttle it up was a loud "Sucking" sound from the carburetor. I pulled the air cleaner and noticed I would get good flow into the carburetor at idle, but when I would throttle it up, the tube that is like an upside down "J" would not put out any fuel. Is that upside down "J" an additional fuel port for when it calls for more fuel?

Maclin

Admiral
Re: AQ125a Won't throttle over 2000 rpm in gear

In my opinion a sucking sound is pretty normal and expected sound from a carb as it opens up.

The upside down J tube is a bowl vent, it should never have any fuel coming out unless there is a problem with the needle and seat not being able to control the fuel flow into the carb bowl. On marine carbs it is shaped like that to have any overflow from the bowl go into the carb bore and not just all over the top of the carb and engine.

Regarding the timing, Did you install new points and set the gap and adjust until the dwell was correct? THEN set the timing?

Did the boat just start acting like this?

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced the condenser last week and then I set the dwell with new points and verified down to the gaping on the plugs. I could not verify if this is something new, but I know the engine has not been run in 7+ years. When I have muffs on, at idle, I can get higher RPM's and can get up to the 4800 and beyond, but it will hesitate around the 2200 to 2800, and then be fine.

Last edited:

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Follow up;
While troubleshooting the issue, I was given the suggestion to feed fuel into the carb at the 2000 rpm range with a turkey baster, (Just to keep it to a slow and controllable amount). So I did just that and found that when I did the engine ran like a champ. Now narrowing it down and suspecting a fuel blockage somewhere, I did a complete re-build and during the tear down found that the upside down "J" is not a vent but in fact it is the acceleration jet, and it was clogged. I did the re-build, (the Solex 44 PA1 is so simple it took me 20 minutes after soaking it for 24 hrs to re-build). It now runs like a champ. I am feeling stupid though, with an engine that has sat this long, I should have known to do a carb rebuild, and since the kit was only $34. Lesson Learned!:stupid: