1976 85 hp neutral

jeremyacm

Recruit
ok so got this old boat, its my 1st. needed a new impellor, so we put one in. had a little opps we changed the shift rod length. dose anyone know the right length to reset it to?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 85 hp neutral

Doesn't that model have a shift rod that's threaded on its top and has a barrel type part screwed down on it? If so, simply screw that barrel all the way down, then back it off just until it faces properly.

Note that the white nylon bushing must be present in the hole in that barrel, otherwise it will be impossible to have the engine shifting properly.

jeremyacm

Recruit

yes it dose, however your idea is not going to work. you must drop the lower unit to addjust it. this is why knowing the lingth would my so helpfull. i cant be the only one to have had this happen.

jeremyacm

Recruit

you do relize im tring to finde the thingth of a 1976 model. the only listed ones start a 77. the total lingth on my 85 hp 1976 is 21.5 if you max it out. i even got the online repair manua,l not much help there.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

What's the model number of that engine?

The 1976 model has the threaded barrel on top of the shift rod and is easily turned without dropping the lower unit.

The 1976 model does not have a required shift rod length measurement. It's just a matter of turning that barrel all the way down then backing it up only to where it faces properly... 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, whatever.

You don't appear to understand what we're telling you.