Newbie, please help. Hit object underwater, now motor stalls in gear. 1983 70HP Json

I was boating along around 22mph and hit something with the prob underwater. Seemed like a hard it and I think it stopped the prop in its place. It kept going but I lost about 8 mph so i went into neutral to exam the prop and LU. Prop took a hit but was still there. Tried to continue going forward and when I pushed the throttle forward it stalled.

Continued to stall every time I would throttle forward. Luckily I was in front of a yacht club, so someone came out and towed me back in. I am now trying to trouble shoot the issue to see if I can fix it, or how much it will be.

The prop spins freely when in Neutral as well as spins when in forward and reverse, but it is kinda difficult to spin while in gear and it only rotates about 3/4 an inch at a time.

This is my first boat and I do not have a lot of money so I am hoping there isnt too much damage. What else should I check? How do I tell if the LU or entire motor is FUBAR'd?

Thanks in advance. I am brand new to the boat and OB game.

rothfm

Ensign
Re: Newbie, please help. Hit object underwater, now motor stalls in gear. 1983 70HP J

Hmmm, bummer. I would start by removing the lower unit. Then Turn the flywheel clockwise to see if it turns ok and isolates the issue to the lower unit. Sounds like it is bound and when in Gear, stalls the motor.

You can then attempt to turn the driveshaft on the lower, it should turn also. If not-You may be looking at taking the Gearcase apart to find and fix the damage. Or shop around for another Lower unit.

thats the basics I can think of. Good luck.