how to set the timing on a 1971 40hp evinrude norseman

bunchadeans

Recruit
I have a 1971 40hp evinrude norseman, the flywheel key sheared while running, and I have to replace the flywheel. I was wondering if I need to set the timing and if so what is the procedure for setting the timing. The flywheel has a large split in it, that is why I am replacing the flywheel. This boat had set for two years and I have been rebuilding it. Thanks for your help.

Bunchadeans

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to set the timing on a 1971 40hp evinrude norseman

When you have the breaker points set correctly at .020 " that will take care of the timing.

bunchadeans

Recruit

Boobie, Thanks for the advice. So there is no need to align marks or anything like that. Just make sure the points are set to .20? Whats the best way to get the woodruff key to stay in the slot without moving while trying to place the flywheel on the shaft. I see that the install needs to be clean and dry. Thanks for your help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The key should be a tight fit in the shaft. Is the keyway battered or something? If there is slop, that will affect the timing of the flywheel to the magneto. Tighten that nut to 100-105 foot pounds.

bunchadeans

Recruit

Boobie, Thanks for the info. I will be installing the flywheel the middle of the week as it hasnt arrived yet. I will let you know how it goes.

lindy46

Captain

The key must be installed with the flat surface parallel to the crank and NOT parallel to the tapered part of the crank where it sits.