Johnson 130 OP Fires but Shuts Right Down??

TonyBGT84

Recruit
Hi there people! I'm chasing down an issue my 1998 Ocean Pro is having. I have changed out the coils, wires, plugs, cleaned the carbs and put seafoam through the gas tank. It was running quite rough when I bought it. The work I did made it run FANTASTIC.....or so I thought.

I went out into the Gulf after doing several hours of test runs in the river. The engine ran great the whole way out, then, while at low speed, she would start losing power. I would pump the fuel bulb and it would run fine again. So, I was thinking it was a bad fuel line. I had all my tools with me and started to tighten the connections. Everything again seemed fine, but now it started running low on power at WOT. The fuel bulb kept going flat too.

We made it about a mile from the ramp and she just died. I changed the plugs, pumped the bulb, she fired.......then died. It's doing that every time now. Fires for an instant and dies right out. I'm very mechanical when it comes to my cars and HATE to have to take this to a shop. I can, I just don't want to. The previous owner said it's doing the same thing it did when the power pack went out. The power pack on it is only 3yrs old, but they did run the boat quite a lot. I think it's a fuel problem myself. Maybe there's a leak sucking in air? All the filters are new.

Any advice on where to start would be very appreciated. I don't want this thing to beat me! lol

Thanks!
Tony

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Johnson 130 OP Fires but Shuts Right Down??

clogged vent pipe in tank makes primer bulbs go flat or junk in your pick up tube. also, dissassemble your fuel pump and inspect. mess with your kill switch too

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander

If'n the primer bulb is getting sucked flat that means there's a blockage in a fuel line, or the vent fwd of it, creating a vacuum. In one way this is a good thing cuz it demonstrates yer fuel pump is probly working as it should.

If you haven't already done so replace the fuel line(s). Particularly fwd of the primer bulb. And check the vent for blockage.

Do you have portable, or built in tank(s)?

Last edited:

TonyBGT84

Recruit

If'n the primer bulb is getting sucked flat that means there's a blockage in a fuel line, or the vent fwd of it, creating a vacuum. In one way this is a good thing cuz it demonstrates yer fuel pump is probly working as it should.

If you haven't already done so replace the fuel line(s). Particularly fwd of the primer bulb. And check the vent for blockage.

Do you have portable, or built in tank(s)?

Built-in 75gal tank. I was thinking of replacing all of the hoses anyway, so thank you for the help. It was acting like an old VW we had which is what made me think fuel.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated! THANK YOU!