Got registration renewal for vehicle I never owned

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As the title says I got a registration renewal form in the mail yesterday. Its for an 85 Chevy truck, which I have never owned! says the registration expires in august. WTF! Is someone driving a truck in my name? Im going to call the auto reg. office first thing Monday. Ever herd of this happening, its got to be more than a typo

Id like an 85 Chevy maybe I should just report it stolen and see If the cops can find my new truck :laugh:

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Got registration renewal for vehicle I never owned

It's called identity theft. Be prepared for a long haul.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't see what anyone would have to gain by registering a vehicle in someone else name. Loans and rentals and such i can see but how could they benefit from this?

besides my credit sucks due to student loans so it wouldn't do 'em much good. and when I say it sucks I mean like 450

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't see what anyone would have to gain by registering a vehicle in someone else name. Loans and rentals and such i can see but how could they benefit from this?

Insurance rates are based on your credit score. Theirs may be worse. They may not even have insurance. Their name is not on the papers and they have no liability.

It might be a mistake but I would surely follow up on it ASAP.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turns out its a motor home. Really wish there was something I could do about this today!

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe somebody might have the same name as you and they got addresses mixed up. that's the only thing I can think of.

aspeck

Staff member

It's your girlfriend ... She is getting even for making her add oil to you car ... :eek:

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's your girlfriend ... She is getting even for making her add oil to you car ... :eek:

LMAO

I'm going to try to stop worrying until I can talk to the DMV. I called the PD and they said to contact the DMV first.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

My grandfather got parking tickets from green bay. Never been there,and the car was the same model/year! Upon checking it out there was a duplicate plate ussued,the dmv said wow! Never seen that one! And in the same type of car. Well they issued a new plate to the other guy,and dropped the tickets.....weird.
Grub

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

here in vt they have duplicate plates one for car one for truck. found that out in ohio one year. cop called in my plate said it came back to to someone else in vt. I told him that I owned this truck for four years. I just assumed he call it in as a truck plate. he let me go because paper work was in order. got back home and called dmv said that there can be two plates with same numbers.one for car and one for truck. cant believe in this little state they need to duplacte plates.

alorio1

Seaman Apprentice

Better check your DL for flags, if the owner of the MH did not insure it the DMV will flag your DL and you will have a fine + penalty to pay before you can renew your DL....

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you have to show proof of insurance before you can get registration in TX

TilliamWe

Banned

you have to show proof of insurance before you can get registration in TX

Yeah, you "have to" do that in IL too. Yet you can mail in the renewal just by writing a policy number on it. And in person I have never been asked, in 14+ years of living in this state. Maybe TX is different, but I wonder?!

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK it turns out this was a Camaro I sold about a year ago....aannd there WAS a typo on the vin. One letter is the difference in being a Camaro or freaking motor home! aaaahhhhh!!!! how did it even get through like that. you would think it would have thrown a flag when the vin didn't match... how the heck didn't it? this had me freaking worried, for nothing

guess ill give the guy a heads up and tell him to transfer the damn title... well crap I'll probably have to fix it before we transfer it.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Holly crap I just realized My mom drove that car for a few months. She was driving a CAMARO with motor home plates!!!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I drove my PU for 2 years with plates that weren't even in the system! The registry person swapped two characters on the registration from the plates they issued me. It wasn't till I got the truck inspected at work that my buddy noticed the reg and plate numbers don't match each other.

Drove over to the registry, took the front plate off the bumper, and the reg out of the glove box. Walked in the registry, and all was resolved in 5 minutes...

Jonnybbad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Years ago I received a new driver's license in the mail with my name and address on it, but some chick's picture. I was not made to return it and have it to this day. Every now and again I pull it out and hand it to a cashier when they ask for ID. Interestingly enough they usually do not notice anything. I find this interesting, because I do not look remotely feminine... lol

Last edited:

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh man that's awesome. Now I want a fake Photoshoped ID with a woman's picture just to screw with people.
Cashier give funny look " Is this you? "
"oh I'm sorry that's an old one, I've had some work done ;), here's my current license"
LMAO

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Oh man that's awesome. Now I want a fake Photoshoped ID with a woman's picture just to screw with people.
Cashier give funny look " Is this you? "
"oh I'm sorry that's an old one, I've had some work done ;), here's my current license"
LMAO

LOL, when they ask if that's you, in a high pitched soft voice and say, "that's before the operation", then in a deep voice, clear your throat and say in that deep voice, "I mean, that's before the operation" and wink at them with a smile. :)