Minn Kota foot pedal problem

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class
The unit would not turn to the left, everything else worked fine.

The hardest part of disassembly is sliding the top white plastic all the way to the right, and then somewhat pulling it up away from the back base, and then getting it to slide back left, up and away from the rest of the unit.
When you slide the top white piece to the right, you're sliding it across the notch, so it will be tough, and then tough again sliding it back left to pull it out.
I found if you move it laterally up and down against the back while pulling outward, it will wiggle out.

Then you can peel back with an exacto knife, the outter clear layer away from the circuit board.
Do it slowly and carefully as to not pull up the copper in the circuit board. Once far enough, you can use vinegar and q-tips to clean it well.
Then just use tiny lines of super glue to adhere the clear layer back over the circuit board.

The big thing to remember is move slow, the metal "tabs" that ARE the buttons are not adhered to the circuit board. They're very small and fragile so don't bend them.

There were also holes developing on other buttons, but I just used some liquid electric tape, and gave each button a nice extra layer. I didn't do the variable speed strip though, as that might require something like clear fingernail polish because the friction would just rip up the electric tape most likely...

Once getting it all glued and slowly assembled, it turned left! lol

I'll post some pics after getting them off my phone, but ya, thought I would share. I got the trolling motor off a guy on c-list the other day and got out on the water to discover this.. :/ (he offered a refund but I figured I would tear into it and if it didn't go well I would just get the remote control)

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minn Kota foot pedal problem

I have found that repairing the foot pedal is a waste of time, it will fail again just a matter of when. the wireless remote is wonderfull!!
Yes it is expensive $150. but worth every penny.

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your model will convert to the Minn Kota Co-Pilot, I concur with the above poster, my foot control is gathering dust in the shed and the Co-Pilot has made my fishing much easier. Best $$$ I've spent on fishing tackle. I believe most bow mounted M-K's from about 2000/2001 Power Drive and better can be converted. Get you model number and serial number from under the unit head and call Minn Kota, they will tell you if it can be converted.

bassman284

Commander

Well from a contrarian viewpoint, I have a PD V2 with CoPilot and rarely use the CoPilot. If I had a third hand I might use it more, but for the kind of fishing I do the CoPilot is only useful when making long, non-casting runs with the trolling motor.

I'm going to try the OP's repair trick on my most recent failed foot pedal. It really does seem that a more robust design should be possible. I managed to get almost 3 years out of this one by pretending there was a raw egg under my foot. I read some guy somewhere who always wraps his up in a plastic bag when he's done fishing to minimize the amount of dirt that gets into the works so I'll probably start doing that. I found one on Amazon for 87 bucks but the list price these days is $129.

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do plan on getting the copilot as they have a legacy one..
I was just surprised everywhere I see they say 'buy a new foot pedal'..

The one thing I might do though is disassemble the pedal again, and coat the entire circuit board in a thick sealant.
I realized hopping out of the boat and back in, even though I wear wet shoes that don't stay wet for very long, I still put my foot on the pedal and got it all wet underneath.

The plastic bag idea would be a good one too, can't believe they would just throw an exposed circuit board with a thin plastic protector under the pedal.