Powerhead Removal

mbrownone

Seaman Apprentice
OK I'm ready to hoist the 1986 Evinrude 90hp power head from the rest of the unit. Will the block "stick" to the base as I lift it off. In other words will I need to hold down or rock the power head as I'm hoisting to get it to separate?? Just need to know what to expect as I've never done it before. Seems that the power head is very tight against the base and doesn't budge by hand at all. Thought it would move or rock a little. Appreciate any advice before I attach the lift...

Also, I have an OEM manual and completed the listed steps. There were about 16 or 17 steps.

Last edited:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Powerhead Removal

If all is loose, then yea the exhaust gasket will deal the powerhead down. I like to slap it around a bit with a rubber mallet.

mbrownone

Seaman Apprentice

Makes sense, thanks. I figured I may need to thump it a couple times with a rubber mallet. But always good to seek advice first. I was hoping a couple guys could lift the power head off, but looks like the hoist will be the way to go.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you got the hoist put some pressure on it in the straight up position and shake the hell out of it.

dazk14

Ensign

You'll also want the lower unit removed.

If your hanging it from above, make sure you have a few bolts installed partway to catch the lower mass.