Coil to plug wire connection

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Another newbie question for ya. I have a 1960' Evinrude 10hp 2 cycl. motor. The wires on the other end of the spark plugs attach to each coil. How are they actually attached to the coil itself? Do they plug in kind of like how they plug into the spark plug? Or do you have to solder or attach them some other way? I may have to replace one or both of the coils but am not sure how they attach up into the coils and want an idea of what's involved before I start. Thanks

-B-

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Coil to plug wire connection

The plug wires will attach to the coils by "screwing" the wire end onto a "spike" in the coil. No soldering involved. A small bit of silcone or gease on the end of the wire and twist it onto the spike. Don't forget the rubber boot as this goes on the wire first.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you kind sir. Sounds pretty straight forward. One more question while I'm on the subject if you don't mind.... In trying to determine if the coil(s) and/or wires going to them are okay would this test be the way to go about it: Start motor and one at a time pull a spark plug wire off? If so, I assume if I pull a wire and nothing changes then that wire or coil is bad/faulty as opposed to pulling a wire and having the motor start running rougher. Correct? Thanks.

-B-

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, you can do it that way but, use a pair of rubber handle pliers to pull the plug wires off. When you pull a plug wire off, you should hear a change in the sound of the motor and a drop in rpm.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, will do! ;)