Removing carpet from pontoon boat wood deck

geezer1960

Cadet
Hi guys<br />I have searched this forum and did not see or I missed any suggestions for this. I have a late 1990's Palm Beach 20' pontoon boat. We are in the process of redoing the seating and outer skin on the railing,,,,My problem is removing the carpet. the carpet is stapled on on the perimeter but glued down to the rest of the wooden deck. How can i remove the gunk and fuzz that is left over after I pull the carpet up,,,,or better yet,,,,whats the best way to remove the carpet....the wood making up the deck is marine plywood and in excellent shape,,,,so I do not want to injure that wood in any way.<br />thanks in advance<br />Geezer1960

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing carpet from pontoon boat wood deck

I would try heated air first. If it is a contact cement , some soften with enough heat.

amidaeus

Seaman

I found that a good stiff wire wheel on a drill motor works better than anything else I tried. It is still hard work... Wear safety glasses.

Roseydave

Recruit

I've just removed the carpet from my 1988 Sun Tracker, and Struggling to remove the remaining glue to put it mildly. The wood is in good shape... I checked it on the bottom before I started, and confirmed as I pulled the old carpet off the top.

As I was catching my breathe go to thinking... why not simply turn the wood over, fasten it down and apply the new carpet to what is now the unfinished bottom?

I couldn't find any posts confirming this it would work..so am thinking it may not be a good idea for some reason. Is anyone aware of a reason why not to do this? (The only holes in the deck are for the steering and electrical cables under the console and speaker and a couple of lighting wires).