Thermostat gasket for 97 5.7

nathanj988

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to take my thermostat out to check look at it because my engine will not go past 110-120 degrees while on muffs.

If I pull the housing I imagine I will need a new gasket, can I pick up a gasket from autozone or advance auto? Will it just be a 5.7 gasket?

Thanks,
Nathan

nathanj988

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Thermostat gasket for 97 5.7

I ended up ordering Sierra 18-3677, which is a 160 degree thermostat kit. When I pulled the thermostat housing off, the thermostat was missing.

I would like to clean the inside of the housing, at least the area where the thermostat and o-ring seat. I'm not sure what chemicals you would use so I may just scrub it with a wire brush.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If there is no T'stat then I would be careful to check lots of things related to the cooling system. Why else would someone remove it? And yes a clean up with a wire brush is OK, that is all I use on a motor that has done 14 seasons in salt water.

Last edited:

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

Make a gasket out of gasket paper you will get it at any car parts shop for about 75p a sheet :)

nathanj988

Seaman Apprentice

What kind of things do you think I need to watch out for? The previous owner said that she had the boat winterized, so maybe they pulled it at that time. I doubt that she did winterize it though because I have found water in the engine and manifolds. I have run the engine up to 110-120 and the oil level hasn't changed, so I think it/I dodged a bullet.

Thanks for the tip about making the gasket myself Fireball.

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

Another wee tip for anyone going to be using gasket paper for gaskets in the future Best to buy a set off "9 PC HOLLOW PUNCH SET" search on ebay saves a lot of bother trying to cut bolt holes with Scissors‎ :)