35 yr old outboard that has never been started with tags still in place !

markw_06

Recruit
Hey im new to the forum ! I just purchased a 7.5 gamefisher model # 217.585830. It is still brand new. It still has the advertising label attach to the choke lever. and a small break in advise slip. It has never even had gas in the tank ! Im wandering before i take it out and run this motor. Am i ruining something that has somehow slipped past 35 years without even firing over ! Thats gotta be something special.. Would love to hear your input on the subject.. Not sure if its worth alot but i got a good deal on it..

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 35 yr old outboard that has never been started with tags still in place !

That is quite a find. I would replace all the rubber before starting it. Like fuel lines are not good for ethanol gas and the impeller could be dry rotted from sitting.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

You might get $400 or so on ebay. Just a guess.
A 1978 Gamefisher probably isn't that collectable at this time.

markw_06

Recruit

Yea im gonna do a good check over on it before running it. We have a gas station near by that sells non ethanol gas so thats what i will use. I paid 250 for it. But if its only worth 400 im just gonna run it like i stole it ! Maybe it will last 35 years like the ones i see on Youtube that are all beat up !

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's an air-cooled motor with zero collectability. $250 is even a stretch. Follow the sticky above on what to do to get an old unused motror running again. Don't try to start it or even turn it over till you follow the directions. Don't worry about ethanol gas unless you have a remote tank. Then you might need to replace the float after 5 or 6 years. With a clean unused system the ethanol won't be a problem.