40 hp evinrude 1974 40455s shift trouble?

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this was my first lower unit I tore into, and I thought it would be perfect......this lower unit has the split case. I did get it all back together and moved the shift rod up and down and everything seemed to work great. today, I bolted the lower unit up to the rest, and I don't have forward gear. I have neutral and reverse. I can shift it all the way forward, but the prop shaft free wheels just like neutral.
#1 question is: how many different length brass shift connectors does Evinrude use?
#2 """" did I do something wrong in the lower unit? it did shift fine before the bolt up. I put in a 6 inch brass connector. same as the broken one the customer brought me, but I got this unit as a basket case; Greg

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 hp evinrude 1974 40455s shift trouble?

The grooves in the upper and lower shift rods must align perfectly with the bolt holes in the brass shift connector. It sounds like you have one at least not aligned properly.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that's kinda what I was thinking too. I'll need to pull it apart and look at it again. not that they also use a 5-1/2 inch brass connector?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

There's only two exact length brass shift connectors, one for short shaft and one (if needed) for long shaft... no other lengths. The measurement is between the center of the bolt holes, the long shaft connector being exactly 5" longer than the standard short shaft connector.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks, Joe. that's what I thought on the connectors. I took it apart again today and I can shift the lower unit reverse and forward by hand, but something is whacked in the shift connector linkage. is there ANY way the upper linkage rod could be out of adjustment., or the upper connector somehow? I received this motor in 2 pieces from the customer, and don't know exactly what he has done with it.

lindy46

Captain

Check for play in the upper shift rod. With the lower unit off, grasp it with a needle nosed pliers and move it up and down - there should be NO play.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled it apart yet again this morning, and it shift fine when not bolted up. I'm going to run it and see if it'll go into gear when running. I don't think it'll hurt any thing. if still no forward gear, Then, I will pull it apart again and check the upper shift rod play. thanks for the input Lindy

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, me thinks I screwed up. I can shift the lower unit in reverse, neutral, and forward, BUT.....when it's in gear, I can actually wiggle the lower shift lever up and down about 1/4 inch. I must have something misaligned. I will update when I figure it out.