Engine hessitates

reysafn

Cadet
So I am very confused. I have put a lot in this motor and I get a horrible outcome. I have. 3.8 229 CID v6. When I start the engine it starts right up without a problem and sounds great at idle. When I accelerate the engine hesitates horribly. So far I have done just about everything the this engine. New pistons and piston rings, honed the cylinders, new gaskets all the way around. Every gasket there is on this engine is new. The heads were shaved to make sure they were strait and I was told the valves were in good condition. I still have this problem when giving it any gas. If it makes any difference with it being on land please let me know. But in any case everything mehanocal has been done. Any help with this issue will be great. Please help I am at the end of my rope.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Engine hessitates

The 229 is an uneven firing engine, make sure you have the distributor in the right way.

Chris.......

reysafn

Cadet

I have the distributor in correct as far as I know. I took how to install it right out of the book. Also it's a new distributor cap rotor condenser.

achris

I have the distributor in correct as far as I know. I took how to install it right out of the book. Also it's a new distributor cap rotor condenser.

Which book? Do you have #1 cylinder on a sharp lobe or a rounded lobe? And what about points, are they new, and did you clean them before installing?

Chris.....

Last edited:

reysafn

Cadet

# 1 cylinder in the firing position on the rounded lobe

achris

ok.. Check the timing advance curve.... Still didn't answer which book... :D (please don't say 'seloc' :facepalm:)

If the timings good, start looking at carb...

Chris.........

reysafn

Cadet

I believe it is seloc. I'm not in front if it at the moment but How do you check the advance curve? Oh I forgot to mention its also a rebuilt carb as well.

reysafn

Cadet

So how do I check for this I tried running the engine and moving the distributor to listen how the engine runs. One way I move it the engine sounds better and will accelerate a bit more but end up hesitating. Does this sound like the right direction to move in?

PatrickBoyle

Seaman Apprentice

You need to be using a timing light to set the distributor. Don't just go turning it around at will, because if you advance it too far it'll start detonating and cause serious damage to the engine.

Purely a guess, but look at the accelerator pump in the carb. With the engine off, if you look down the barrel of the carb and slowly open the throttle, do you see a strong stream of fuel being shot down into the engine?

reysafn

Cadet

You need to be using a timing light to set the distributor. Don't just go turning it around at will, because if you advance it too far it'll start detonating and cause serious damage to the engine.

Purely a guess, but look at the accelerator pump in the carb. With the engine off, if you look down the barrel of the carb and slowly open the throttle, do you see a strong stream of fuel being shot down into the engine?

Yes therr is a strong stream of fuel