30 hp mariner? yamaha? ignition switch wiring

jonesy72

Recruit
I have tried to seach for similar post to figure this out with no luck so sorry if this is already been ask. I think if i understand my motor was made by yamaha for mariner. It is a 30 hp mariner, i have looked all over this thing to find a serial number and all i can find is the made in japan for mariner and above that the tab that I would think would have a serial number is missing. The motor pull starts fine and started by elecric fine but the person I bought it from had some junk rigged up with a toggle for a kill switch (just guessing) a toggle switch for constant power and a push button for a start switch. It stopped working for them so they had it to where you flipped the power switch and touched two wires together for it to start. I thought i could re-wire the switch to at least to what they had with new switches but im not having any luck.I need to know what each wire goes to..a diagram. It has 7 solid color wires white, black, brown, blue, red, pink and green. Nothing special no gauges, no power trim, no accesory just want some kind of kill switch and key start/push button start, anything. Would it be possible to use a key type switch from an autoparts store

bubbagmp

Recruit
You can purchase a 6 pole switch from your local boat parts store. An automotive switch will not work due to the magneto. I have tried. You. Can get them it or without the push to choke function.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I've got an '82 30HP and a factory manual for it. Shows schematics for starting system for both magneto and cd ignition. Based on mine, the pink wire is part of the cd ignition.

See if this helps (based on mine), from the keypad:
black to ground
yellow and blue run from the choke switch. Blue goes to the choke solenoid. I can't tell where yellow goes.
White and black go from the kill switch. White goes to the CDI unit.
Red goes to the starter solenoid, by way of the fuse.
Green goes to the cdi magneto.
Pink doesn't appear to go anywhere associated with the starting system.

Let me know if you need more - I can study the diagram more closely :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - The OP made one post a year ago and never returned. Please do not post to topics inactive for 90 or more days. Let it sink back to the depths. Thanks.

jonesy72

Recruit
Thank you for your post. No one ever posted and with a lot of life issues going on I never got this fixed. I am going to work on this today now that I have some info on what to do