Another ticking question

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
1977 Mercruiser 165Hp 4.1 Litre.

Just went to start it on the hose to get ready for this weekend, and immediately noticed a ticking sound.
The ticking noise speeds up with throttle. To the best of my ability (with a piece of pvc pipe( I was able to isolate the noise to somewhere near the 5th or 6th cylinder plug.

The oil was not changed at the beginning of this season, and the pressure stays steady at about 30-38 psi no matter what the idle is. seemed strange to me to move so little with idle up at about 2500 rpm.

Does this sound like a lifter or something else ... any advice appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Another ticking question

Sorry, my piece of PVC pipe doesn't extend that long.... I have no idea what the sound is, as only you can hear it... A known noise on those engine is the gudgeon pins. That get a bit sloppy in the pistons, and will make a ticking/knocking sound.... But as I said, only you can hear it... we can only guess.

Chris.........

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Could just be a noisy/loose rocker arm. The easiest way to check/adjust them on this motor(which I also have) is while it's running.
Run it for a couple of minutes, remove the rocker/valve cover.
Get a 5/8" socket, an extension, and a 1/2" drive.
Start the engine and let it idle.
Starting at cylinder#1, SLOWLY back off the first rocker nut until it clatters a little.
SLOWLY tighten it until there is no sound...this is "zero" lash. You'll be able to "feel" it through the socket wrench also
SLOWLY tighten it 1/4 turn...the engine may bog a little, but don't worry this will clear.
Repeat this another 11 times.
NOW...Return to #1 and simply SLOWLY give each nut another 1/4 turn(1/2 total on each).

Once you get going, it actually takes just a couple of minutes.

The manual says 3/4 turn, but my WELL seasoned professional engine builder(just rebuilt my cylinder head) has built many of these 250's and told me that on this engine 1/2 turn will center the lifter without worry of over tightening.

There will be a little oil to clean up, but it's not that bad...a couple of rags and you're done.

Go to the local NAPA/AZ...whatever, buy a GOOD valve cover gasket...replace and tighten to 4lbs.

Done. Silence at last!

Last edited:

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

The manual says 3/4 turn, but my WELL seasoned professional engine builder(just rebuilt my cylinder head) as built many of these 250's and told me that on this engine 1/2 turn will center the lifter without worry of over tightening.

There will be a little oil to clean up, but it's not that bad...a couple of rags and you're done.

Go to the local NAPA/AZ...whatever, buy a GOOD valve cover gasket...replace and tighten to 4lbs.

Done. Silence at last!

Excellent. Not sure if the original owner ever did this, but I sure have not. So now I know what I am doing tomorrow. This and the oil change. Thanks for the bit of advice OshKosh !