1989 OMC 2.3 Cobra - how to replace thermostat

walt378

Recruit
I bought a new thermostat but I'm not sure how to correctly install it. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Walt378

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 OMC 2.3 Cobra - how to replace thermostat

Remove the two bolts on the housing attached to the exhaust manifold then the clamp at the housing and wiggle it off. Then replace the t stat with a new gasket and re assemble. Pretty easy on that motor.
Good luck.

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1989 OMC 2.3 Cobra - how to replace thermostat

not looking at my 2.3 right now, i think you need to loosen the power sterring bolts on the bracket too, (if you have p/s) then when you remove t-stat housing and hose clamps, clean gasket surfaces good with a scraper and razor blade. make note which way the old t-stat is positioned, a dab of gasket rtv or similar is ok just to hold gasket in place while you assemble. tighten bolts equeally.clamp hoses, run on muffs. to operating tem p. check for leaks. would be a good time to replace the big fat hose that is 3" long on right side of t-stat housing, not sure if they make it any longer looks like straight rad. hose, mine developed a pinhole last time out. so check your hoses is my point.... goodluck!!!!