1975-1976 Chrysler 75 hp prop question.

jp101388

Recruit
I bought a 69 evinrude sweet 16 with a 75 hp 1975-1976 Chrysler motor. Took it out on the lake and it started fine. I immediately noticed the speed was very low, the engine would rev higher but gain no speed my top speed from the start was near 5 mph. Before long i was barely moving. I asked around and received feedback that it was the prop slipping. I had a spare two blade prop and it started out with good speed after cruising around for fifteen minutes I slowly lost speed and by the end of the day i could only go 5 mph at high rpm's. I believe this prop was slipping too. I examined the hub and the rubber fitting was worn on both props. It is a 13- 21 prop with 18 splines. I found that the original prop on the motor was supposed to be 13 by 17. I am looking for a new prop but i don't really know what props i can use and which ones i can't. Any advice would be appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975-1976 Chrysler 75 hp prop question.

Welcome, Michigan Popeller will have what you need. Call or send an e-mail with the info you included.
They sell props on this site too.But I don't think they can sell you what you need.Seems they re selling only newer motors props.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975-1976 Chrysler 75 hp prop question.

104_7070.jpg102_6504.jpg

Those 18 spline thrust pin props are becoming more difficult to find but there are a couple on ebay. As far as re-hubbing them, I don't believe that anyone makes new hubs for them so your only option on your current props is "pinning" them. You CAN pin them yourself with a hand drill and hand tap. Looking at the enclosed photos should be self explanatory.

On these 10 inch bronze propellers I used three 1/4 X 20 setscrews. On your larger props I would recommend 5/16 X 18 stainless setscrews about 1 inch long, secured with locktite. Since your props most likely "plug" into the rear of the gearcase, do not run the setscrews all the way through as I have done with these bronze props.

Last edited: